Insert Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenwit

Jan 2, 2010
long island
This will be my third year running a Clydesdale insert. I have a 1600sf ranch, and 12' of insulated flue. The top temp. never gets past 500 degrees. My wood is mostly 1 year css locust and ash. Is it possible I should add to the flue? Or are these temps. normal? Even when burning old oak pallets the temps don't climb. It's heating my home, but I'm wondering if I'm not burning efficiently. Thanks Ken

Hey Ken,

Do you have a block off plate? Do you have the top of your chimney sealed off around the top of the liner? I'm not positive, but 12 ft may be a bit short. Either way 500 isn't terrible, but I think you could do better with a few modifications. Is your chimney an exterior chimney? This information will help us help you out.

If your burning oak pallets,,,and your stove temp doesnt climb,,thats a problem. It may be your chimney height. If I put some pallet pieces in the stove,,,the temps could go off the charts,,,if they are not watched carefully. In the shoulder season,,,all I burn is pallets, I keep my good stuff till the colder weather gets here.

DaFattKidd said:
Hey Ken,

Do you have a block off plate? Do you have the top of your chimney sealed off around the top of the liner? I'm not positive, but 12 ft may be a bit short. Either way 500 isn't terrible, but I think you could do better with a few modifications. Is your chimney an exterior chimney? This information will help us help you out.

Yes, I do have a block off plate, the chimney runs through my unheated garage, and I sealed the top as well. Ken

It might be weak draft. There often are other symptoms if it is. Are you seeing smoke come out of the chimney during a burn? Where are you reading the temperature? Do you get smoke spillage when opening the stove door?

BeGreen said:
It might be weak draft. There often are other symptoms if it is. Are you seeing smoke come out of the chimney during a burn? Where are you reading the temperature? Do you get smoke spillage when opening the stove door?
I'll see smoke when first lit, I use a Rutland magnetic top center of the insert. I don't get smoke in the house, but I open the door slowly. Just from reading a lot of posts,it seems I'm not getting high enough temps. Thanks Ken

My Clydesdale seems to want to peak around 550 and holds that temperature no matter what I do. Depending on what wood i'm burning seems to dictate how long it holds at the high temperature and not so much how high the temperature goes I don't know if I could get it to the 650 - 800 range if I wanted. I wouldn't be so sure that you have a problem, but if you wanted to try to add a little pipe to the top and see what happens its worth a shot. Before doing anything with the setup you might want to experiment with how long to wait before shutting the air down and the sequence you use to shut it down, you may be able to squeeze a little more out of it there.

*disclaimer: I don't routinely monitor stove top temp, I did only to learn the stove last year*

spacecowboyIV said:
My Clydesdale seems to want to peak around 550 and holds that temperature no matter what I do. Depending on what wood i'm burning seems to dictate how long it holds at the high temperature and not so much how high the temperature goes I don't know if I could get it to the 650 - 800 range if I wanted. I wouldn't be so sure that you have a problem, but if you wanted to try to add a little pipe to the top and see what happens its worth a shot. Before doing anything with the setup you might want to experiment with how long to wait before shutting the air down and the sequence you use to shut it down, you may be able to squeeze a little more out of it there.

*disclaimer: I don't routinely monitor stove top temp, I did only to learn the stove last year*
Cowboy, thank you for responding. I'm really enjoying the insert. I just read so many posts of cruising temps. that are a lot higher. I want to get the most out of my wood, and I don't know if it can burn better. I'm thinking of contacting the manufacturer and asking if the design prevents the higher temps. I may try another three feet of flue, but would like confirmation before putting in the effort. Thanks again, Ken

Are you getting good heat? In other words does it feel hot near the stove or are dissatisfied with the performance?

If you can open the door and not smoke the place out and you are happy with the heat then perhaps your thermometer is off a bit. Any way to confirm your readings?

I guess I should get an IR thermometer. Anyway, the unit does heat my house, I'm just trying to confirm optimum performance.

newtothis said:
I guess I should get an IR thermometer. Anyway, the unit does heat my house, I'm just trying to confirm optimum performance.

I'm the same way, want to know what's going on and get the most out of it. Just saying if it's functioning well then maybe the thermo is giving you bad info.

Status
Not open for further replies.