Insert hunt continues...pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jc5922

Nov 8, 2011
East Kentucky
Well, I have/had committed to buying the Buck Model 18. It fits perfect. I've made plans to go pick it up tomorrow. Well, tonight I came across a slighty used Country Stove Performer C210, asking $875, no blower. If they won't move on the price I'm still committed to the 18 because the blower is $300 from lennox. I had a new unit priced to me for just over $1500. A lot more stove than the Model 18, and will barely fit my dimensions. The issue is the depth of the flue opening from the front of the opening, it's only 4.5 inches. That puts the flue opening about half under the chimney opening and half under the top of the prefab unit. I have about 2.5 inches from the top of the flue to the top of the prefab unit. I'm pretty sure not offset box will fit that, but I might be wrong. Question is if SS flex liner is flexible enough to make that connection? The people with the used QuadraFire 2700I never emailed me back, apparently they didn't take me serious sense I was over 6 hours away...

Attachments

• Resampled_2011-11-12_18-16-28_506.jpg
    Resampled_2011-11-12_18-16-28_506.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 309
  • Resampled_2011-11-12_18-17-08_68.jpg
    Resampled_2011-11-12_18-17-08_68.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 311
Scratch the Model 18....the guy called me tonight and told me he sold it. Was suppose to be holding it for me. I just don't seem to be having any luck.

This is high season and definitely a competitive time to be buying used.

BeGreen said:
This is high season and definitely a competitive time to be buying used.

Agreed. I rarely find good deals until February and any good deals you do find are snatched up really quickly. Not a good time for a first time buyer trying to figure out which is the correct purchase to make.

Also, purchasing now, you tend to rationalize away flaws and needs far too much since you feel the need to get a stove in as soon as possible.

jc5922 said:
Scratch the Model 18....the guy called me tonight and told me he sold it. Was suppose to be holding it for me. I just don't seem to be having any luck.

Buying used requires patience and a plan. You need to determine all the models that fit your needs before hand and be ready to grab it when it turns up as a decent stove will be snatched up really quickly during the winter months. It is a lot tougher to do this if this is your first stove since you do not know all the questions to ask regarding each model that you know will work in your situation.

If you rush the purchase you may regret it. If you don't rush the purchase, you may lose out on the stove. Quite the spot to be in.

The best time to purchase a used stove is from March through July.

Status
Not open for further replies.