Insert i3100 or Summit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hey Hog!
Which do you like better the a/b body or the C?
Does the C convect as well as A/B?
I've only had the A & now B bodies. I like the B better, with the cast top plate & ash plate. I don't like the shield on the inside ceiling of the B. They narrowed it and put a flap on it that slows & diverts the flames. Problem is, it causes the top of the insert at the collar to slightly glow. I swapped the A body shield in place of the B body shield, in the B body stove, and that problem is gone. I would think they all will convect about the same. The C makes the heated blown air go under the top plate though, not sure if I would like that or not.
It does look like the C has much reduced mantle clearances though. For some reason the B has the most mantle clearance height requirements.
I was holding off on firing up till I got the new stone on installed over the brick, but I have to make a new mantle, so I fired it up till the mantle is done. Can't stand running the oil furnace.

I went with the summit. It is a C body.

I have a question about the block off plate.. I can't understand how a thin piece of metal can do anything other then hold the insulation up.

Can I ask what NY dealer? I live in NY and I'm between a PE and a BK. If the price is right on the PE that may sway my decision.