Insert in Heatilator EL36 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bwharper78

Oct 23, 2014
Athens, GA
I have a Heatilator EL36 prefab fireplace with an 8" flue. The Heatilator manual indicates that a wood burning insert is okay as long as the chimney is fully lined. There seems to be several insert models that are approved for instillation into a zc fireplace.

Does the chimney liner need to be insulated? I see that there are single wall and double wall liners and you can wrap them with insulation. Since the liner will be going into an existing 8" flue, what should I go with?

I know there is a lot of debate on weather inserts should go in prefab fireplaces, but assuming I want to do it what other considerations are there to consider?

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 268
  • chimney.jpg
    chimney.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 213
If the heatilator manual says it is ok and the insert manual says its ok i dont see a problem with it and yes you should insulate it i would use single layer flex liner wrapped in insulation. We always install heavy wall flex liner we feel it is worth the extra money for wood but light wall will work fine

Thanks, quick follow up question. Would a 6" liner wrapped in insulation fit inside the 8" flue? Also, will I need to replace the chimney cap and other components on the top as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.