Q&A Insert in masonry chimney - do I have to line the chimney ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have been shopping around for a woodstove insert for my masonry fireplace. I am getting different "stories" from the local dealers when I ask them about installation. Some say I need to line the masonry chimney all the way to the top with 6" pipes. Others claim that all I need to do is to tie the damper open- put the insert in the fireplace- and it is ready to use

Answer:

Neither is totally true. Do not buy from the guys who say all you have to do is keep your damper open..they are not educated and are doing a disservice to you. The minimum job entails a 5 or 6 foot flexible tube running from the insert up to the first flue tile area of the chimney- with a sheet metal block-off plate fit into the area below the damper to seal off room air from going up the chimney. The full lining is great- and the price of around $1000-1500 is accurate- although if it is a 6" pipe- you might find it a little less. No doubt- the lining is the best job- and a Mercedes is a great car- but we can't all have what we want. If your chimney is sound- there is a good chance that the tube to the first tile area will do the job--usually around $400. installed labor and material.

Status
Not open for further replies.