Insert in Masonry. Wrap Fireplace with reflective foil?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pertzbro

Feeling the Heat
Aug 2, 2016
NW Iowa
Just an idea I thought up. I've read of people insulation around the insert inside the masonry firebox to keep the cold from passing through the masonry. Do you think this would reflect too much heat back at the insert? I'm thinking wrap the sides and back of the original masonry firebox before i install my insert. It's an outside chimney facing the north where we get our cold winds from in the winter. There would still be 3-6 inches of open space between insert and the reflective foil.

Might be a bad idea, but thought I'd pose the question for discussion.

Welcome. It sounds like there is plenty of room to line the fireplace with insulation board like micore, fiberfrax or roxul. This would be more effective than foil.

Status
Not open for further replies.