Insert Install cost

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NH Steve

Jan 24, 2017
NJ
I've been doing research on the correct insert for my needs/fireplace specs, etc...and have decided on the Jotul C450. I recently rec'd the estimate for the install and it's $5,400. This is more than I was expecting, but need help in validating my suspicion. Stove itself is $3100. The rest breaks down this way: $800 for the liner kit (6" by 25'), $900 for labor and delivery, $600 for Flex connector and sheet metal work.

Does this sound right? Dealer has been great to work with so far but looking for a 2nd opinion.

Thanks in advance.

Well $800 sounds low for the liner kit I am assuming that they are using cheap light wall liner and no insulation at that price. But the insulation may be in with the $600 for the flex connector ect I have no idea how they could spend that much on a flex connector and sheet metal. The overall price sounds about right to me but the breakdown doesn't make much sense.

Well $800 sounds low for the liner kit I am assuming that they are using cheap light wall liner and no insulation at that price. But the insulation may be in with the $600 for the flex connector ect I have no idea how they could spend that much on a flex connector and sheet metal. The overall price sounds about right to me but the breakdown doesn't make much sense.

The $600 can be broken down a little more: $400 for the flex connector and $200 for some custom sheet metal work? (perhaps to extend the cast iron surround?)
Thanks

$400 for the flex connector
I really dont understand what they are calling a flex connector and why it would cost $400. Are they using a rigid liner? What I know as a flex connector is just the adapter to go from flex into the stove. And that is typically under $50