Insert install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike D.

Mar 13, 2013
Central, MA
So awhile ago I posted about acquiring 2 pellet stoves from a friend. I have finally gotten around to installing the second unit. Its a Tasman 40i. I'm installing it in my basement as such:

Zero Clearance kit installed on insert
Non-combustible wall built from recycled steel 2x4's and Durarock with a mantle
Cement floor

My only question is venting (should have thought of this first...). Its smack dab in the middle of the house. I plan on using an unused chimney (was for oil furnace but upgraded to direct venting gas) but am unsure of the pipe size I should use. From stove to chimney is just short of 6' with a 5' rise to the existing vent opening in the masonry. I was thinking 4" should suffice but am now second guessing myself. I will use a liner in the old chimney, should I stick with the 4" or up the liner to 6"? The manual doesn't specify except to recommend using either the 3" or the 4" Selkirk stuff.

Now I'm over thinking it and spinning in circles.

4" liner is what I would go with. Looks like you would be fine with 3" from the stove, but it would probably be easier just to run 4" for everything. No harm in running 4" for everything anyway.

in general, <15', use 3" 15-25, use 4"

Status
Not open for further replies.