Insert install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

i3bpvh

Hearth Supporter
Jul 24, 2009
MN
I'm going to install an insert into a masonry fireplace this fall, just wondering what to do with the fresh air vent on my fire box floor. Some say to pack it with fiberglass insulation, but is there any advantage to removing the cover and leaving it open? maybe reduce the amount of air sucked out of the room?

if it circulates any thing, it will suck up the dankness from the ashdump into your fp insert, and out into the room.

Is this an outside air vent or ash dump? If outside air I'd look into hooking it up to your insert.

I do; Pacific Energy, Lopi, Jotul, Harman, Vermont Castings, Rika, Hearthstone, Scan, Bosca, Kozi, Vista Flame, Fireplace Xtrordinair, Town & Country, Dutchwest, ICC, Metalbestos, Simpson

Quick question Summit. I'm looking at the Rockland insert, and the min height is 23 3/4'', the opening to my fire place is 24''. Is that cutting it too close. Also, the opening is restricted by an inch because the brick hearth is higher than the firebox floor, so once it's in there will be another inch of room, but am I going to be able to get it past and connected?

first pic shows hearth edge from inside fireplace, pic 2 shows fresh air vent up front

Attachments

• P1000323.JPG
    P1000323.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 598
  • P1000321.JPG
    P1000321.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 604
Todd said:
Is this an outside air vent or ash dump? If outside air I'd look into hooking it up to your insert.

This is an outside air vent, (fireplace is in basement) just freshly cleaned out 2 years ago after some varmint decided to make it home sweet home, but now all clean and screened off. How would you go about "hooking it up to the insert"? Just leave it uncovered? since the insert will be on top of it?

If that's an OAK (???), typically you'd run a duct from your vent to the stove, but in your case I don't know that it would be possible given its location and the tight fit. About the only way I can see using it is with a free standing stove.

Also, if that Rockland insert has a min. height of 23 3/4’’, and the opening to your fireplace is 24’’ (all the way across), you should be okay. You can contact the manufacturer to confirm, but you're over the min. so I'd say you're okay.

I sorta hate to say this because it will sound argumentative, but ...... the hole in the floor with a plate in a conventional fireplace is typically an ash cleanout trackway in my experience. The exterior door typically mounted on the chimney may not be there or may never have been mounted, thus making it appear to be an air feed. In your case, maybe; maybe not. Either way, my recommendation would be to remove the door/plate from the bottom of the fireplace, insert ceramic fiber insulation in it for closure.
If you are referring to the Jotul C550 Rockwell cast iron insert, I can see a couple "challenges" that may surface during an install into your 24"/25" fireplace. 1) Once the insert is set under the best conditions there will only be 1 1/4" space for someone to get their arm into for the purpose of connecting the flue pipe. The CC of the connection is 12" back which would prevent me from making the connection. (Not saying it is impossible, it would just be a challenge)
2) The pictures do not indicate to me that the 1" stepdown extends to the sides of the fireplace opening. If this is true, the insert will most likely need to be raised 1" to allow installation of the fan, the bottom surround trim, and the side surround pieces. The bottom surround trim fits flush to the hearth and "trims" out the fan assembly. Naturally all the afore mentioned items interlock with each other, thus if one is out of allignment none will fit properly. If you are not referring to the cast iron model then the surround kit is optional. Needless to say, if the insert is raised 1" to meet surround mounting requirements then the top space is then only 1/4" and I don't think I can even get my finger in there to make the flue connection! :(
I just finished an insert install a couple weeks ago and these are just a couple possible "challenges" that come to mind. They may be worth exactly what has been paid for them, but I wish you the best.

Retreadsme said:
I sorta hate to say this because it will sound argumentative, but ...... the hole in the floor with a plate in a conventional fireplace is typically an ash cleanout trackway in my experience. The exterior door typically mounted on the chimney may not be there or may never have been mounted, thus making it appear to be an air feed. In your case, maybe; maybe not. Either way, my recommendation would be to remove the door/plate from the bottom of the fireplace, insert ceramic fiber insulation in it for closure.
If you are referring to the Jotul C550 Rockwell cast iron insert, I can see a couple "challenges" that may surface during an install into your 24"/25" fireplace. 1) Once the insert is set under the best conditions there will only be 1 1/4" space for someone to get their arm into for the purpose of connecting the flue pipe. The CC of the connection is 12" back which would prevent me from making the connection. (Not saying it is impossible, it would just be a challenge)
2) The pictures do not indicate to me that the 1" stepdown extends to the sides of the fireplace opening. If this is true, the insert will most likely need to be raised 1" to allow installation of the fan, the bottom surround trim, and the side surround pieces. The bottom surround trim fits flush to the hearth and "trims" out the fan assembly. Naturally all the afore mentioned items interlock with each other, thus if one is out of allignment none will fit properly. If you are not referring to the cast iron model then the surround kit is optional. Needless to say, if the insert is raised 1" to meet surround mounting requirements then the top space is then only 1/4" and I don't think I can even get my finger in there to make the flue connection! :(
I just finished an insert install a couple weeks ago and these are just a couple possible "challenges" that come to mind. They may be worth exactly what has been paid for them, but I wish you the best.

Been there done that.

Ok, first things first. seal up that ash dump. I put a piece of sheet metal and used stove caulking between it and the bricks then put a few concrete screws in for good measure. I try and eliminate any holes or cracks that lead to outside because it keeps out the bugs and unconditioned air.

I hope your planning on lining your chimney because that's one of the most important things to getting an epa stove to burn right. It's expensive and a hassle, but more than worth it. When you get your reline kit it will have a collar that does on your stove and attaches to the liner with a big band clamp on it. The 'flexible' liner isn't that flexible and is a pain to get into the stove and right. I cannot imagine doing it with an inch space. My insert is like 19" tall which gives me more than enough room to wrestle with it (and wrestle I did). Also, make sure your clearances are good for a mantle if you've got one. I sure wouldn't spend good money just to do a slammer install and have the stove not draft right though.

Doesn't the Rockland come with a liner adapter and one of those flue collars that you attach to the liner before sliding the insert into the fireplace? Then you reach up through the hole in the top of the stove, pull the collar down and then secure it inside the top of the firebox.

If the surround for the 550 is anything like the 450 surround the above poster is correct, you will likely have to shim it up an inch. Mine (C450) fit much like you describe, very little clearance on the top. Not a deal breaker by any means, it will just be a little tougher to make your liner connection. You'll probably have to get your arms up in there from the side, not fun but do-able. Good luck.

BB, just talked to the dealer today, and it does have a collar that you attach to the liner, then slip the insert in, and then from the inside reach up, pull the collar down and twist it 1/4 turn. I asked him about the clearance and he said that per the specs it should fit, but he wouldn't try it.

not to beat a dead horse, but in reference to the ash clean out, there is only one opening on the outside of the chimney, round, about 4 in across, and about 2 feet up from the ground, but the fireplce is underground in the basement, so I'm having a hard time believing it's a clean out.

I must have missed the info earlier about the fireplace being underground in the basement. That certainly alters my thought about its function. Hope you have good luck no matter which direction you chose.

So I'm back to my original question. Should I leave it open and maybe get some outside air, or plug it?

If its built anything like the 450 it wont benefit you to leave it open. The 450 has a flat bottom with very low profile foot pads on it if I remember correctly (been a handful of years). I would leave it shut, just a place for bugs or mice to get in.

BrotherBart said:
Doesn't the Rockland come with a liner adapter and one of those flue collars that you attach to the liner before sliding the insert into the fireplace? Then you reach up through the hole in the top of the stove, pull the collar down and then secure it inside the top of the firebox.

I self installed mine and what you describe is how I did my install, not that hard of a job overall..

I was looking at the rockland but according to the dealer my fireplace opening height is just too close to try. So on to the next choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.