Insert installation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfunk13

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2008
Wyoming
I am trying to get a wood insert before the snow falls
here in Wyoming. I have narrowed it down to a few different models,
just need to make up my mind and get this thing done.
My question is about installing an insert.
Is it worth having it done? I want it done right and honestly dont know alot
about them. I must say i am pretty handy as far as construction and building.
Was a welder and fabricator for years. But want it done right. Is it something
i can tackle myself, or shell out the $500 or so to get it installed. I am leaning on getting
it installed just for the liability reasons. If something is not right or goes wrong, i can
go back to the installers and company i bought the stove from.

Thanks for your help!
Brad

Up to you. You do have some damn good resources here though should you choose to DIY.

Welcome to the forums, Brad !

I opted for a Pro install on my insert... I figured it came down to sleeping/house/fire..better to let the Pro's do it. I was glad I did, because they had a hard time cutting out the damper area :blank: I'da been looking for a rope, and a chair :snake:

My 2 cents ;-)

bfunk13 said:
I want it done right...

In this case, I think you have little choice but to do it yourself. (That comment might not go over too well with some folks on this board, I realize.)
I've heard a lot more bad stories than good from customers of fireplace installers.

The hardest part is getting it in place. (For someone with Brad's background, that damper removal will be a snap.)

Really its no big deal. All you have to do is get the pipe down into the fire box. The hook up ii jest a mater of puting the pipes together. The hard part is snaking the pipe thru the top of the smoke chamber and removing the damper. Ive seen it done a bunch of times . but i have the stove guys do it most of the time. I have alot of other things to do .

I did it myself. I would recommend a pro only if you have one of these things- a small stack opening (e.g. 8" x 8"), a roof that is impossible to stand on (or a chimney that sticks very far above your roof), or if it is very difficult to get the stove into your house and up to the fireplace.

If you don't have any of the above, it's really not very difficult at all.

granpajohn said:
bfunk13 said:
I want it done right...

In this case, I think you have little choice but to do it yourself. (That comment might not go over too well with some folks on this board, I realize.)
I've heard a lot more bad stories than good from customers of fireplace installers.

The hardest part is getting it in place. (For someone with Brad's background, that damper removal will be a snap.)

I agree with granpa 100%. I you want it done right, do it yourself!

Thanks guys, this place is great!
"cutting out damper" does the entire damper need to go?
i will try to attatch an image of the damper area.

Attachments

• DSC02631.JPG
    DSC02631.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 338
  • DSC02635.JPG
    DSC02635.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 349
How big is the liner you would be using?

For my cut out, they had to remove the damper & the damper assembly, then cut the metal "flue" (if I'm using the wrong word, someone correct me, please) to allow for the liner to fit to attach to the stove.

It got messy ;-P

Honestly i really don't know.
I am new to all of this. We burned the fireplace last winter.
The fireplace is pretty, but so inefficient. So i cut 5 cords of wood
this summer and am ready to burn. Now i am learning and trying to
get an insert in before winter. I think i have a model picked out, just trying to
decide if i install it. Or have it done, or a combination. I do have an oxy-acetylene
torch if needed. I am sure i could do a number on the damper, if i knew what to do is all.

Thanks Again
Brad

bfunk13 said:
...I am sure i could do a number on the damper, if i knew what to do is all.

Get it out of there. open it up as wide as you can about 10" or so each side of the centerline. You're gonna want to pull a liner down the chimney all the way to the top of the insert, and then fab a sheet metal block-off plate to seal up that whole throat of the chimney around the liner. The existing damper's in your way, and is never going to be functional again...torch that sucker...or sawzall it, or whatever works. Just don't hurt yourself. Rick

The guys will be by to help you out.

Not to worry :)

Now you know why I opted for the Pro install :lol:

Don't remove anything till you are sure you have an insert. Once you find one that fits, meets your needs, is the correct style, etc., then you have to make sure you will get it in a timely fashion. I would hate to see you make your current fireplace inoperable and then wait 3 months for an insert to show up.

That being said, like others have mentioned, probably the most difficult thing will be removing the damper plate. While your torch will cut it out, how will you be positioned for this? Will you be lying on your back looking up cutting this metal with your torch being showered in molten metal? Perhaps a 30 dollar 4-1/2 inch angle grinder/cut off saw from say harbor frieght would be better (if you can reach up there with it) at removing things.

After that, it is a matter of fishing the flex liner, making a block off plate, positioning the insert, connecting the liner to the insert, then trimming it out and capping things off up top. You also should consider the need for insulating the liner. That depends on the type and location of your chimney. KD

The "Guys" needed some of my chain saw oil to help cut, and get the damper/flue ( am I right or wrong?).

It took about 1/2 of an hour.

*Techno challenged in this area*

bfunk13 said:
I am trying to get a wood insert before the snow falls
here in Wyoming. I have narrowed it down to a few different models,
just need to make up my mind and get this thing done.
My question is about installing an insert.
Is it worth having it done? I want it done right and honestly dont know alot
about them. I must say i am pretty handy as far as construction and building.
Was a welder and fabricator for years. But want it done right. Is it something
i can tackle myself, or shell out the $500 or so to get it installed. I am leaning on getting
it installed just for the liability reasons. If something is not right or goes wrong, i can
go back to the installers and company i bought the stove from.

Thanks for your help!
Brad

Brad

I am also a welder fabricator, and I was thinking the same thoughts as you when I bought my insert 2 years ago. My dealer only wanted $350 for the install, since I have never even thought about insert install's in my life, it was a no brianer to have them do it, I am glad I made that choice as the install kicked there butts, they had a hell of a time getting my insert hooked up into my ZC box. Best $350 I ever spent, saved me alot of headache's

Status
Not open for further replies.