Insert installed too far forward a bad thing?? Opinions needed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-fan-atic

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hey all. The front wall of my hearth/chimney has had several layers of brick/river rock installed on the face. therefore, when installing the insert, the faceplate surrounds(top/side slide walls) didnt quite reach the screw that attaches the faceplate to the firebox. I,being the creative ^%$#&nut; that I am, extended the back of the faceplate with 18 ga. steel riveted onto the sides/top of the faceplate where it attaches to the firebox. This worked fine, and the faceplate is secured in place. The only difference is the insert itself sits in the existing fireplace a few inches more than it normally would. This should not really affect the performance , should it? It seems absolutely fine, as inserts throw their heat forward and the blower blows up and over the top of the insert,anyway. Ive had no problems. Im just wondering what you guys think.

Attachments

• xjnj.jpg
    xjnj.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 277
Madison- the hearth is made of teakwood limestone. Its a bit softer than I would have liked, but the wife just didnt want bluestone. ( Appearently, the grey bluestone doesnt go with our 'colorscheme'. Who knew?). There is a nice, thick, fire resistant carpet remnant (not pictured) that goes in front of the hearth,also. If you look closely, in the upper right portion of the pic, you can see my old Dutchwest 2461 sitting on a dolly in the kitchen :long:

cool, that teakwood limestone actually looks like wood in the picture. too bad it is not as hard as you wanted, but, if it gets dinged --- just call it "distressed". plus you always gotta keep the other one happy. I do see some browns in some of the stones around the fireplace so i can see the color coordination thing going on...

Happy wife = happy life.

Nice installation. I like the limestone, that's a unique look.

Thanx.....but my wife is the brains of the operation. :) (P.S.-NEVER let her know I said that). Im just the poor *^$#^@# that searches for, schleps,loads,bucks,splits,stacks, and maintains the wood/stove. She does EVERYTHING else! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.