Insert insulation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Summertime

Sep 3, 2008
Western, Ct.
I have too much time on my hands during the winter and was wondering if it would make sense to insulate the sides and rear of a woodstove insert, I am talking about the void between the stove and interior of the fireplace brick with non combustible insulation,Heck while you are at it you could even lay a extra piece of roxul (sp?) on top of the insert.

I already have a insulated liner and block off plate.

What are everyones thoughts to any benifits or drawbacks of doing this?

I had read that you risk the chance of overfiring the stove if you do that. Not sure if that is right or not but thats what I remember when I asked a similiar question.

I am inclined to leave it alone as far as extra insulation goes behind the insert. It makes some sense in a fireplace/flue on an outside wall, but would make more sennse to insulate the outside of the brick in that case. If you do decide to add insulation back there, overtemps could occur in theory - no idea if it actually will - there are some folks on here who have done it, so perhaps thay will chime in.

I would suggest ceramic wool blanket insulation fire the Roxul mineral/rock wool. ceramic wool blanket is rated for the temps your chimney will produce (up to 2100*F), I haven't found any rockwool products with those temp rating yet. Also, Roxul you buy at the local stores for firesafing and insulation will have additional binders in it that may not like the heat at all, as they weren't intended to be used in a high heat environment all the time. Products like AFB and such are intended to extend protection during the one time in thier service life that they get hot - a house fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.