Insert into Fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianbeech

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2011
Southern IN
I've got the option of getting the stove in this thread: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/69592/ for free from my dad. I also have a fireplace that I do not use in the dining room/entry way. Here are my questions. Assuming the measurements of the firebox will fit the insert, what do I need to do about the following? I have a damper - I'm assuming I would have to remove that as the stove would/should make that unreachable. I also have a chimney cap that closes (not sure what that's called) - has a chain that hangs down the chimney and allows me to close the top of the flue. I'm assuming I would need to remove that.

I'm not sure what the connection is on the stove as I haven't pulled it out yet, but if it is rectangular, is there any reason I can't let it simply draft up the chimney. I know that's how it's done now, but not sure if that is correct. Will I need a chimney cap? I'm just not sure how much cost I'm looking at getting into here and wanted to see if anyone could give me the steps (multiple I'm sure) that I'm not aware of.

Thanks!

Can't say I would recommend it, especially a slammer installation. If you have a shortish, large flue it could draft poorly.

BeGreen said:
Can't say I would recommend it, especially a slammer installation. If you have a shortish, large flue it could draft poorly.

What would I need to do? Get a pipe and run it all the way up the flue? I have no concept of what would be the correct way to install this. I'm sure it depends on what I'm dealing with, as far as flue length/size etc. I believe my chimney to be roughly 20' tall from the fireplace.

For safety sake and easy of cleaning I would line it. But it's possible that the old stove will need an 8" liner. If you decide the insert is not so hot, then you may be paying more for a liner than you need to. Most modern stoves of modest size are 6". The next step would be to know what you have. What is the throat size of the flue tile? Has it been cleaned and inspected? Then you will have to determine the flue exit connection on the old dogger. If it is a simple stove with no bypass or baffle, you may be able to figure this out from looking up, inside the stove. Also be sure it will fit. Measure twice to be sure.

FWIW, a decent modern unit like this can be found for around 1K: http://www.overstockstoves.com/50tnc13i--epa-certified-noncatalytic-wood-stove--1550131500.html

Status
Not open for further replies.