Insert Into Temco Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

f700

Jan 8, 2008
New Hampshire
I am looking to either put an insert into my Temco ZC fireplace or put a stove in front of it. My choices for the insert are Jotul Winterport, and Pacific Energy Pacific. I like the looks of the Jotul a little better, but the PE has a higher BTU rating and will heat more..My house is 2300 sq.ft. Let me clear that I do not want it for my primary heat. As far as the stove goes..I am leaning towards the Jotul Castine or Oslo. Questions:
1. Will I get more heat from the stove or will it be equal with the blower on the insert. Comparing The Pacific to the Castine.
2. I plan to reline the 8" chimney with a liner. Do I need to insulate it. The current chimney is the 8" inner with the 12" outer.
3. If I go the stove route, I will be rear venting them through the same method as the insert. Again is insulation needed on the liner.

Advice is appreciated.

To my knowledge, none of these freestanding stoves is approved for venting up through a prefab chimney...so unless you find it in the owners manuals....it probably cannot be done. Since it cannot be done, there is not a right way (as per insulation, etc.)....

A stove would provide more heat than an insert, but I know of no stoves....with the exception of perhaps one (a certain HearthStone model), which is approved for venting and installation into a ZC.

So that leaves you with inserts which are specifically tested and listed for a ZC. The manuals of the stove should tell you what you need to know. Basically, these ZC inserts need a UL HT103 chimney, that means one tested to 2100 degrees. According to one manufacturer (Quadrafire), if your fireplace was built in the last 5 years or so, it has a chimney approved to this standard. If that is the case, then you don't need insulation. However, if the chimney was tested to the older and lower standard, then you do need to insulate the liner.

Let me clarify, the Quadrafire manuals state that if the chimney system was built after 1997 then it MIGHT be tested to 2100deg.

An old Temco you are going to have to insulate the entire liner with a 1/2" wrap. Also you must keep the outer chamber of the old pipe open so it can breathe and cool properly. I have posted this information about 20 times now.

Thank you for the answers. To clarify, for the stove infront of the fireplace, I was going to run a liner into the ZC fireplace with a Tee at the bottom. From the Tee, I was going to run a Double wall chimney to the stove.

Doesn't matter what you do, if the stove is not tested and listed for that application it is illegal to install it that way. There are only a few select stoves are are approved for installation through a ZC prefab unit. Most small sized inserts are however approved for this use.

So you are saying I can't put the stove 10" in front of the fireplace, run double wall chimney into the fireplace to the liner tee? Why is this not acceptable? I do not want to put the stove into the ZC, only in front of it. I'm curious now. What stoves are okay to do this other than inserts.

That's what I'm saying. Most MFGs do not test for that with thew stoves and it must be specifically outlines in the manual for it to be approved. I know it seems silly but that's the way it is. I think some of the Hearthstone soapstone stoves are approved for installation of this type. It is outlined in the install manual. Thats the only one I know of.

F700 - and I am agreeing on the same thing. In other words, that is in no way a "generic" chimney, and to our knowledge cannot be converted to one. To do the job this way would require ripping out the entire firebox AND chimney and then installing class A double wall chimney into the chase all the way up

Thank you for the advice. Seems strange as it is okay for insert that way, but not for stove. I guess better safe than sorry. Between the Pacific Energy and Jotul, which would you choose.

Both great stoves - different looks. I would carefully check measurements first to make sure you can line up flue collar. If it turns out that either will fit, you can't go wrong with Jotul or PE. Both top notch companies and stoves. Folks usually choose (final choice) based on style, budget and other factors. As in the real world, you will find one person to say "get that one" and another to say 'get this one"....but in this case, you will not go wrong.

OH, also, download the manuals for the particular units and make certain they are approved for your fireplace brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.