Insert is heating brick surround. How much is too much.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I have insert installed in old masonry fireplace . Yesterday I've tried to burn a load of biobricks in it. Now I know how it should perform .Nice secondaries and cat engaged for hours.Temp when up to 80F with blower at 3/4.The stove temp was around 600 measured with IR therm on a top. I think the fire was hot but well controlled. I was mixing it with so-so wood until now, so, never saw performance like this.
I noticed that stone wall above fireplace got really hot, I was unable to place a hand on it .
155 F measured with IR above insert and decreasing when moving up.
The wall was all brick, I screwed 1/2 durock to it and put desert quartz ledge stone on it.
I'm somewhat worry about insert heating the wall above. I insulated my fire box like crazy on a sides but did not pit anything on a top of it, so its just metal part of the shelf and exposed brick.
My liner is insulated , and goes away from wall that heats up. So , all the heat to the wall comes from insert itself.
What is your experience ? Should I insulate top of the firebox may be. Am I loosing too much heat from insert and it's affecting performance?

This is my install

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If its solid brick and not just a brick veneer, or brick against studs then its fine. My massive masonry brick chimney gets 200 directly above the stove, and radiates out to the far edges around 80f. My masonry chimney is about 16ft wide and 16ft tall inside the living space.

Just curious, where did you get the bio bricks? I usually burn them, but could not find them anywhere since November, and have been burning the Ecobricks, which don't work as well in my stove.

What is your experience ? Should I insulate top of the firebox may be. Am I loosing too much heat from insert and it's affecting performance?

You are losing heat when the masonry radiates some to the outside. Any other will end up in your home sooner or later. I would say enjoy your new "masonry heater". As long as temps stay below 170 F (or 150 F for a larger safety cushion) where the masonry meets combustibles you will be fine.

I hope it's not a problem, the brick above my lintel gets to just about the same temp. I measured everywhere else I can and I'm not worried at all.

It all depends on where combustibles are in that wall as to wether or not it is a problem.

Just curious, where did you get the bio bricks? I usually burn them, but could not find them anywhere since November, and have been burning the Ecobricks, which don't work as well in my stove.
Hey, somehow missed you question , are you still interested in biobricks , don't remember where i put invoice , can try to dig it if you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.