Insert is in, it works wonderfully, but now I'm starting to stress......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iembalm4aLiving

Feeling the Heat
Oct 3, 2008
N.E. Ohio
.....because my wife is now addicted to wood heat. :roll: (Which is funny, as she fought me on this insert for years!)

Has this happened to any of you????

Our open fireplace sucked, but we loved fires. So we had them most weekends and on some cold nights during the week. But because the darn thing only looked pretty, it didn't get used much.

I have what would have been several year's worth of excellent firewood before the insert came into our lives.

But now I find myself questioning my supply--I see us easily burning through what I have on hand if she gets her way.

My lot has a fair amount of trees, and I've already started on future year's needs, but I don't think my lot can support a heavy wood burning habit.

I've got the ability to process my own....is buying log length wood the way to go? I don't have a scrounging truck, so I think I'll have to start calling local tree services to see what can be delivered.

Any tips on what to ask, what to pay, etc? I'm in N.E. Ohio FWIW.

Thanks!

I did some "log length loads" when I was unable to get wood years ago. It was the cheapest way for me & I like cutting wood & have the space.
A 10 cord load I'd get 8 - 9 CSS out of it.
Try saw mills for reject logs & as if they know of any.

Where are you in NEO. There is a couple I know of. Depends on How FAR North and East. Im am near Ashland Ohio. I have an Amish Saw mill right next door. I have been trying to get some logs off of them...... They do have reasonable cut to length slabwood.

You know a great way to relive that stress? That's right scrounging splitting and stacking wood. I have 8 and a half full cords on my 70x120 lot and I can't fit anymore and that's got stressed out and I can't do anything about it. Well maybee I can go help someone else get some wood.

Are you implying that your wife is aggressively stoking the fire, to the detriment of your wood-pile?

You might suggest a policy like "you feed the fire with what you cut/split/stacked yourself."

People who sweat and pull splinters for something don't toss it away.

Draft management can work, too. Slow down the burn, but still keep it clean.

I have a couple of thoughts on scrounging. First, a car is OK, some cars more than others. I used a Saturn SL2 sedan for years and I could fit 6 ft logs into that thing with the back seats folded forward. Second, a small trailer and hitch for the car is not very expensive and can make your car into a nice scrounging vehicle. Third, not everyone really likes scrounging. I personally love finding firewood for free and I enjoy the fact that all the wood I burn for heat was waste wood cut for some purpose other than heating. If I wasn't burning it almost all would be rotting somewhere. It seems like the price for logs varies a log from place to place. If you can get cheap logs that might be a good way to get a couple years ahead then try scrounging to keep up. Count on burning four cords per year.

Scrounging is good but buying log loads can be good too. Nice part about getting log loads is you have no limb trimming to do and all the cutting can be done in one place. In addition, no wear and tear on vehicles to go get and haul the wood home. Yes, there are good points to getting wood this way. Yes, there are a few bad points too as with almost everything else.

Just remember that once you cut those logs you need to give them at least a year to dry after they are cut and split. Also, find out what kind of wood it is. If any oak, separate it as the oak will take longer to dry.

gd9704 said:
I have what would have been several year's worth of excellent firewood before the insert came into our lives.

But now I find myself questioning my supply--I see us easily burning through what I have on hand if she gets her way.

My lot has a fair amount of trees, and I've already started on future year's needs, but I don't think my lot can support a heavy wood burning habit..

Thanks!
You have have what sounds like a good stock pile of "excellent" fire wood, and your own wood lot where you can get more,,,,,,, and you are stressed????
Imagine how people with no stockpile of "excellent" firewood and no land of their own to cut wood from feel.
Sounds like you're in pretty good shape, maybe your stress level is self imposed?

You have have what sounds like a good stock pile of "excellent" fire wood, and your own wood lot where you can get more,,,,,,, and you are stressed????
Imagine how people with no stockpile of "excellent" firewood and no land of their own to cut wood from feel.
Sounds like you're in pretty good shape, maybe your stress level is self imposed?[/quote]

BINGO! :lol:

I think it's neat that your wife has embraced wood burning for warmth. Some of us have arrived at a balance between lot harvest, scrounging, delivery and purchase of wood to feed the hungry burner (stove).

My fiancee was on me for the last year and a half when I said I wanted a wood stove... Saying how all wood stoves make the house and everything in it smell like smoke. That she can't go to work smelling like smoke. That everyone she knows that has a wood stove, their house smells like smoke all the time.

Hass said:
My fiancee was on me for the last year and a half when I said I wanted a wood stove.......

Over this side of the pond, that could have a different meaning........ ;-)

Hass said:
My fiancee was on me for the last year and a half when I said I wanted a wood stove... Saying how all wood stoves make the house and everything in it smell like smoke. That she can't go to work smelling like smoke. That everyone she knows that has a wood stove, their house smells like smoke all the time.
Then what happened? :)

woodchip said:
Hass said:
My fiancee was on me for the last year and a half when I said I wanted a wood stove.......

Over this side of the pond, that could have a different meaning........ ;-)
A year and a half?!! I can't even make it fifteen minutes! :lol:

:cheese: Like my wife said, what r u worried about, look at all the wood we have, BURN BABY BURN!

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.