insert measurement FAIL!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riggs

Mar 8, 2013
Eastern PA
soooooo...the house that we just bought is where i'm putting the new insert. we close on the 29th and i have not been able to get into the house until recently....the homeowner made the measurements for me (first mistake on my behalf) and said he was capable of getting them...i even sent over the form so he knew all the measurements i needed.

anyway...long story short....he measured wrong :(

now sure how he did it but he measured the width at 33" and it's only 32" which causes a slight problem with stuffing a Jotul C550 in that hole!

ok so now what???? i'm stumped...i put so much effort into getting to the point to pick that stove insert that i'm pissed. i was hoping to get something big in...i want the biggest firebox i can fit into that space and it's looking like it'll be a tough issue because of measly inch.

when i stopped by the shop i noticed that also carried Quadra-Fire and for obvious reasons i liked the Voyageur Grand and the guy told me that the fit was smaller on that stove even though the fire box was a lot bigger...and it turned out to need 32-7/8" ! SOOOOOO CLOSE but still too big :(

not even sure where to start looking again now...i guess maybe the Quadra-Fire Voyaguer...i think that's about the same size as the Jotul C550...but i really wanted a BIG ASS FIREBOX...i keep tossing that idea back around with the VC Merrimack...but decided earlier that due to customer service issues i was gonna stay away from VC. so now what?

note: even though i like them...wife does not care for the Lopi or the Lennox or the Osburn...otherwise i'd smal one of those in there and be done.

thanks,

riggs

oh and the rough opening of the fireplace is

32" wide in front and 24" wide at rear

27" tall in front and 26" tall at rear

27" deep at top of rear and tapering back to 29" deep at bottom of rear

check that....even the regular voyager won't fit :mad:

yeah i thought about those....and i run into two problems.

1st is that there are no reputable dealers that i know of around here...so i'll have to dig around and see who is good.

2nd and more annoying than a real deal breaker...all my wood is cut to 20" :( and that stove calls for a max of 18"

can you fit a 20" split in there?

Since you are looking into Quadra Fire, I would share my experience with the 4100i. It looks like it should fit your fireplace opening and has a fairly large firebox, 2.4 cubic feet. The 20" splits will fit in to this firebox. I have no complaints with it at all. I load it 2.5 times per day. Once when I get up at 6:00 am, then a half load when I get home around 4 pm. This allows me to get a full reload at 10 pm. Then start over in the morning. It gives consistent burn times of over well over 8 hours. I can get it to relight with no matches/kindling after 14 hours on occasion. The automatic blower is also nice. It is aesthetically pleasing (per my wife). Let me know if you have any other questions about the 4100i.

http://www.quadrafire.com/Products/4100i-Wood-Insert.aspx?page=Overview

chances are good that you could take an inch or so off of the sides, possibly the top, if there isn't a steel 'shelf' for the bricks on top. I wouldn't sweat it. We're getting into the spring shoulder season, you'll have some time to figure out what you gotta do to make one fit, or what stove you end up buying. One thing's for sure, you're getting close to the best time of the year to buy a stove. Should be able to find some clearance models or maybe even a floor model cheap.....

What about a Lopi Freedom insert 2.9 cf fire box,it is not as ornate as some might like.It is 29 inches wide and you can put 24 inch splits in it

Or you might be able to pull it forward a bit and have a shroud made up to fill the gap between surround and fireplace front -- some mfrs offer them as options with flush fronts where depth is a problem. In your case -- an insert with sloping back sides, it's the same idea. Though with only an inch, an extension might not even be necessary. A good installer should be able to get it in.

oh and the rough opening of the fireplace is

32" wide in front and 24" wide at rear

27" tall in front and 26" tall at rear

27" deep at top of rear and tapering back to 29" deep at bottom of rear

34" fireplace opening width requirement for an insert is very large. Are you sure about this?

Just looked at the install manual for Jotul C550 CB Rockland from their site and am seeing a front width of 30" and back width of 23.75". So unless I'm looking at the wrong insert, you shouldn't have a problem.

soooooo...the house that we just bought is where i'm putting the new insert. we close on the 29th and i have not been able to get into the house until recently....the homeowner made the measurements for me (first mistake on my behalf) and said he was capable of getting them...i even sent over the form so he knew all the measurements i needed.

anyway...long story short....he measured wrong :(

now sure how he did it but he measured the width at 33" and it's only 32" which causes a slight problem with stuffing a Jotul C550 in that hole!

ok so now what???? i'm stumped...i put so much effort into getting to the point to pick that stove insert that i'm pissed. i was hoping to get something big in...i want the biggest firebox i can fit into that space and it's looking like it'll be a tough issue because of measly inch.

when i stopped by the shop i noticed that also carried Quadra-Fire and for obvious reasons i liked the Voyageur Grand and the guy told me that the fit was smaller on that stove even though the fire box was a lot bigger...and it turned out to need 32-7/8" ! SOOOOOO CLOSE but still too big :(

not even sure where to start looking again now...i guess maybe the Quadra-Fire Voyaguer...i think that's about the same size as the Jotul C550...but i really wanted a BIG ASS FIREBOX...i keep tossing that idea back around with the VC Merrimack...but decided earlier that due to customer service issues i was gonna stay away from VC. so now what?

note: even though i like them...wife does not care for the Lopi or the Lennox or the Osburn...otherwise i'd smal one of those in there and be done.

thanks,

riggs
What customer issues with VC are you talking about?. I have a montpelier that I love. I call them up with questions an I end up with answers.

34" fireplace opening width requirement for an insert is very large. Are you sure about this?

Just looked at the install manual for Jotul C550 CB Rockland from their site and am seeing a front width of 30" and back width of 23.75". So unless I'm looking at the wrong insert, you shouldn't have a problem.

It's under minimum clearance openings....they call for 33" minimum or 1.5" on each side. Installer said there was room in there but it's too close at 32".

What customer issues with VC are you talking about?. I have a montpelier that I love. I call them up with questions an I end up with answers.

You actually call them yourself and they don't turn tell you to contact the installer???

Have you looked at the Buck stoves Riggs. I think the 91 will fit and with the trim kit not too bad looking stove. I just purchased one.

chances are good that you could take an inch or so off of the sides, possibly the top, if there isn't a steel 'shelf' for the bricks on top. I wouldn't sweat it.​

Seems to me that this is a problem easily solved by aquiring MORE CHAINSAWS! ::-)::-)::-)::-)::-)::-)::-)

T-GS461_CE-L001_p2.jpg

Albiet this one might just be a rental. ;)

T-GS461-E009_p3.jpg

Reactions: ScotO
Seems to me that this is a problem easily solved by aquiring MORE CHAINSAWS! ::-)::-)::-)::-)::-)::-)::-)

T-GS461_CE-L001_p2.jpg

Albiet this one might just be a rental. ;)

T-GS461-E009_p3.jpg
Oooooooh MAN......I've seen one of those in person before. I'd love to have me one of those.......

Time for an intervention, MM!! ;);lol

You actually call them yourself and they don't turn tell you to contact the installer???
There was one number I called got into a nasty conversation with some lady, gave her a piece of my mind. I looked around on this forum, called a different number, 802 area code. The guy in technical support gave me all the time that I needed to answer all my questions. I'm quite happy with my stove, it's not a house heater but it sure is beautiful when lit and a roaring fire is going...

seems I did the same thing, I thought the 550 only required 30" in front and I have 32" opening. Calling the dealer today to see if they can come out and let us know if we will be able to get the 550 in or not

Status
Not open for further replies.