insert measurement FAIL!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you looked at the Buck stoves Riggs. I think the 91 will fit and with the trim kit not too bad looking stove. I just purchased one.

oh man...now i'm reading through all the info on here pertaining to CAT vs. NON-CAT??? i like that 91 the more i read up on it..and i can fit the stove and the 8" pipe...so now i've got to do some serious reading to figure out the whole CAT thing.

Reactions: Locust Post
oh man...now i'm reading through all the info on here pertaining to CAT vs. NON-CAT??? i like that 91 the more i read up on it..and i can fit the stove and the 8" pipe...so now i've got to do some serious reading to figure out the whole CAT thing.

The 94 is the same stove with burn tubes but have heard much good about it. The 91 but what I find is a good stove.

Seems like the only drawbacks are changing the cat, which I don't care about because I'll save soooo much wood. Other than that...less pretty flames because of the lack of secondary burn tubes. Otherwise they're jet as hot and burns times are fantastic.

Seems like the only drawbacks are changing the cat, which I don't care about because I'll save soooo much wood. Other than that...less pretty flames because of the lack of secondary burn tubes. Otherwise they're jet as hot and burns times are fantastic.

My post above should say I haven't heard much good about the 94. But lots of good things about the 91. Sorry, in a hurry yesterday.

Question for you....are you sold on putting an insert in? (vs a free standing stove) Only reason I ask is that I had a small fireplace opening to work with, and had to go with a small insert with low burn times.
I'm looking back 4 years ago and if I could do it over I would have just put a free standing stove in, and then just would have modified the hearth to allow the stove and meet requirements.

Again, just a suggestion as I have seen many nice free standing stoves on this board that I think have performed better than an insert would have.

maybe post some pics for us when you can get in the house?

Good luck

hey dave,

i would love to put a freestanding in...but there just isnt the room to do it. i could build out the hearth and set it up but it would end up encroaching into the living room to much...the fireplace is just not in the best position for a bigger hearth. so that's the reason why i'm going with an insert. the house is only 2 years old and very well insulated...and it's running a HE natural gas furance...so heating costs will be low to start with..i'm just looking to bring em down even lower and have a nice fire going at the same time. hence...the decision to go with an insert. i plan on finishing the basement and i will put a free standing stove down there cause i'll have the room and layout.

so with the insert...i'm looking for a mix between looks and functionality. i actually do like the looks of the Buck 91 and with that huge firebox it'll heat for hours and do a good job helping out with keeping the furnace from kicking on, but i'm still not sure if something like that Quadrafire Voyaguer Grand would do just as good of a job for my place.

the room it's going into has very high ceilings and the downstairs is a very open design...total sq/ft is 3780 so this is not going to be a whole house heater...more of a helper :)

below is a pic of the room...until i close on the house i won't have the time to measure everything up but there might be enough room there is get a freestanding stove in...i might be able to get away with either a hearthpad at the base or maybe demo up some of the floor to remove the carpet and then have a friend lay some slate or stone down flush with the floor to get the required hearthpad size needed. stove would be up off the floor a bit which would be nice for viewing and loading...and there wouldn't be a big ol hearth sticking out to trip on.

not a bad idea now that i think about it....

living room.jpg

Nice house/pic! Thanks for the info.
If you did go with a hearth mount stove, you could go a 50/50 split with some protruding out from the firebox, and the other 1/2 or so outside the fireplace.
Nice thing about the stove route is that you don't have to worry about using a blower.....I could really see a Woodstock Progress in there.
Beautiful house.....you must be physched for the move.

i love the look of that woodstock Progress...funny cause i have always like the Hearthstone Equinox...and they look a lot alike.

i'd love to not have to worry about blowers...i'm going to wait until we close and lay it out and see if i can make it work with a freestanding unit..i don't think it'll be that hard to find a solution that works and looks nice too.

Great looking house,could be a tricky one to heat with the high ceilings,seems as though you have to fill the high part with heat before it moves to the rest of the house.Always a tough decision to get it right,I am on my 4th, I think am done. Congrats.

yeah the ceilings will complicate things...there are fans there already...but i'm thinking i'll get some bigger fans that really help to move a lot of air...i figure i have the next 30-40 years to figure it out :)

now sure how he did it but he measured the width at 33" and it's only 32" which causes a slight problem with stuffing a Jotul C550 in that hole!

looks like the C550 is only 30" wide, but needs a full 3" to route the blower cord?!
Not a Jotul dealer, i'm confused

unit is 30" wide at the front
A: Front Width* ......................................33”(838mm)
NOTE: Width dimension accommodates clearance for
blower power cord routing.

oop0s, didn't read the whole thread before posting...

Status
Not open for further replies.