Insert not heating room or house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All I really have is oak I believe
Where have you been looking? There is a place in Douglas on the Mass/RI border that sells kiln dried, not sure of the price but I can check for you, you can also pick up the uglies for cheaper but you need a truck, they don't deliver that stuff, just the good stuff.

Where have you been looking? There is a place in Douglas on the Mass/RI border that sells kiln dried, not sure of the price but I can check for you, you can also pick up the uglies for cheaper but you need a truck, they don't deliver that stuff, just the good stuff.
I'm skeptical to buy from a tree company bc whenever they say their wood is seasoned it never is

Kiln dried is guaranteed to be burnable. The oak you have now won't even be close to ready to burn until the winter of 15/16. Enviro bricks, kiln dried wood and scrounging pallets are your best option.

Kiln dried is guaranteed to be burnable. The oak you have now won't even be close to ready to burn until the winter of 15/16. Enviro bricks, kiln dried wood and scrounging pallets are your best option.
Yeah we'll I bought some kiln dried in the bag and it did nothing but hiss so in skeptical about it

Yeah we'll I bought some kiln dried in the bag and it did nothing but hiss so in skeptical about it
That is strange, I practically lived off kiln dried bags last year when I didnt have any dry wood. Try a different store.

You can also use lumber scraps. I am still burning 2x4 scraps from finishing the basement last year. 2x4, 4x4, 2x6, 2x10 anything not treated or glued work.

That is strange, I practically lived off kiln dried bags last year when I didnt have any dry wood. Try a different store.

I bought some 'kiln' dried last year from the grocery store and it hissed like crazy when burnt. Split a piece and it was 33% on the MM. I don't think there is much regulation in this area...

All I really have is oak I believe
Oak is going to take the longest time to season. It's great firewood but it need 2-3 years to completely dry out.

If your kiln dried bag of wood was wet, let the store know. Get your money back and help other customers avoid getting ripped off.

Oak is going to take the longest time to season. It's great firewood but it need 2-3 years to completely dry out.

If your kiln dried bag of wood was wet, let the store know. Get your money back and help other customers avoid getting ripped off.
Weight is usually a dead give away with kiln dried it should be SUPER lite in weight.

Do you have an Ace Hardware store near you?

Just FYI, out here, Ace Hardware does not carry anything even remotely related to wood burning. I was told at multiple stores that they can no longer sell stove pipe or high temp sealant for "liability reasons." Which seems strange in a state where you can basically do whatever you please and then tell the government to get bent if they don't like it.

If you have the tools to work with that steel gauge that should be fine. Tapcons work well for anchoring to brick. You can use regular silicone for sealing to the brick. The milpac would just be for around the liner.

No, not for the sides of the damper seal. Regular silicone is rated at 4-500F. But there's no harm using the milpac if you want to.

Just FYI, out here, Ace Hardware does not carry anything even remotely related to wood burning. I was told at multiple stores that they can no longer sell stove pipe or high temp sealant for "liability reasons." Which seems strange in a state where you can basically do whatever you please and then tell the government to get bent if they don't like it.
WOW mine has EVERYTHING and if you look through the stuff you can find the mismarked ones from stock that was never rotated :)

Lucky! It seems like this area is not do-it-yourself friendly for some reason, especially when it comes to heating with wood. It took me 3 weeks and 4 stove shops to find 2 45 degree elbows and a slip connector.

I think it may have something to do with the often very bad inversions the valleys around here experience. They definitely discourage heating with wood here, but if people put the time and effort into burning dry wood and burning it well, it can be done with minimal impact, at least compared to the refineries, gas wells and open pit mines around here.

But I digress. Best of luck with your block off plate BDM. You definitely need to experiment with burning some truly dry wood as well.

Lucky! It seems like this area is not do-it-yourself friendly for some reason, especially when it comes to heating with wood. It took me 3 weeks and 4 stove shops to find 2 45 degree elbows and a slip connector.

I think it may have something to do with the often very bad inversions the valleys around here experience. They definitely discourage heating with wood here, but if people put the time and effort into burning dry wood and burning it well, it can be done with minimal impact, at least compared to the refineries, gas wells and open pit mines around here.

But I digress. Best of luck with your block off plate BDM. You definitely need to experiment with burning some truly dry wood as well.
I just wish I had some truly dry wood to burn and have some fun with it

Try to find some pallets or untreated lumber scraps. Also look for loads of pine that you can cut, split and stack this winter. Soft woods like that only take 6-12 months to season once split, so you will have dry wood for sure next winter. Pine should be cheap/free around you too, given it's (unfounded) bad reputation, particularly in the northeast.

If you can get some Hearthwise logs give them a try. You will only need 3-4 at a time.

Address: 44 Mead St. Leominster MA 01453
Telephone: 978.479.0925

also sold in CT at:
Retailer: My Pellet Store, LLC
Address: 1654 King Street Enfield, CT 060682
Telephone: 860.265.7944

Massachusetts (Western): Diane LaValley
[email protected]
L and L Fence Company, Inc.
45 State Rd.
Whately, MA 01093
Phone/Fax: (413) 665-4981