Insert options for a Zero Clearance temco

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kpereyra

Jun 22, 2008
Fairfield County, CT
I was hoping you could tell me what my options might be for a wood insert into my Temco Zero Clearance fireplace? The model is TCH4125. My house is 3300sq feet and I am looking for an alternative heat source to compliment my oil forced air system. The main floor is an open floor plan with 8 ft ceiling. Our family room, where the fireplace is, is 16x29 and is fully open to the kitchen which is about the same size. The living room also connects with a large opening to the dining room which is 14x18. These are the main areas I am looking to heat with some overflow rising up the stairs to the second floor or being assisted by having the second floor air handler fan running.

I had been looking at pellet inserts but have since switched to wood inserts.

I've attached a picture and my dimensions are below:

A: 45”

B: 27”

D: 60”

E: 20”

F: 1.5”

1: 41”

3: 25”

5: 23”

6: 25”

7: 22”

Height of hearth from floor: 15”?

Mantel height from hearth: 34”

The facing is rock. I am concerned about the sizing of the insert surround panels. Most seem to be to tall. Id’ like them to sit flush against the firebox rather than against the rock so I may need them custom sized. is that possible?

Does anyone have any suggestions for brand, model and sizing? I looked at the Quadra-fire Bodega Bay, 3100I & 4100I. They look like they should fit and are approved. The Jotul brand looks like I may have clearance issues with the mantel.

Thanks
Ken

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 393
I have the same temco fireplace. After researching this until I was blue in the face, I ended up putting a stove in front of the fireplace. The reasons for this were, none of the inserts were big enough to heat my house. 2. Wanted to make it easy to install. 3. Didn't want to have to worry about running a blower.

Keep in mind you will need to run a insulated chimney liner to whatever you choose. The current chimney is not rated to the correct temperature required for a stove. I ran a full length insulated liner down the 8" pipe and had no issues what so ever last winter.

Good luck!

Thanks F700 for the info. Can you tell me which stove you ended up getting? Did you have to make any adjustments to your hearth and how did you cover/close off your Temco?

Thanks BeGreen. All this information is very helpful. I read through the thread and found the information about F700's install. I don't think that solution will work for me without extending my hearth since my current hearth is only 20" deep. i certainly will keep it in mind though.

I did see a thread on here about replacing the ZC unit with something more efficient like an RSF Onyx. How do these types of units compare to the inserts? i'd rather not remove and replace but pehaps removing the current unit and re-doing the facing may be cheaper and more beneficial than the work involved with an insert. Would I need a full reline with a replacement unit?

Thanks

In general, any unit that will fit back in there will be rather small - but they are capable! If you do not need long burns, this may do the job.

In 95% plus of cases, if you decide to go the "rip out" route (RSF, etc.), you need to replace the unit itself as well as the metal chimney. In other words, your existing Temco pipe is only good for your fireplace (in general).

A stove in front - at least ON THE HEARTH is against most codes and listings (owners manuals, etc.), although both Jotul and HearthStone have apparently blessed some of these installations. Personally, I would warn against setting a stove right in front since there are combustible materials and framing lumber a few inches back in the wall. Maintaining accurate clearances are almost impossible. Even if allowed by makers and local inspectors, such an installation would usually have to have the stove sitting out in front of the hearth (on a stoveboard) to pass muster. The chimney also needs to be relined for safest installation.

When all is said and done, I would suggest either fitting a small approved insert into there, or ripping the entire thing out and replacing with a modern unit such as the RSF.

I put in a Jotul Castine. I ripped up the old hearth and built a bigger one the size recommended in the manual. I also put the rear heat shield on and also replaced the sheetrock with cement board around the existing fireplace. Have had no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.