Insert Project about to start...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My wife just liked the surround on the quad
Flush mounted stoves look more like a fireplace, but there are some caveats. They often put out a bit less heat and must run the blower to convect well. Those without an ashlip can be a pita due to ash falling down to the hearth and getting sucked up into the intake of the blower.

Hope it fits for you. Mine is mostly flush, but only because that's how I could get it connected to the liner. My girlfriend was happy that it ended up that way, I'd have preferred a more practical heating device, which would have stuck out into the room. At least your wife is agreeable to the idea of an insert.

At least two of my neighbors wives completely nixed the insert idea due to aesthetic concerns. They both have a few "romance" fires each year during shoulder season before they get fed up with the giant warm air suck out of the house and up the chimney. Then, the damper gets closed for the rest of the winter, and they look at a cold black hole at the bottom of a stack of rocks from October until the next September.

Doesn't add up to me, but I don't have to live there, and they give me almost all the wood off their lots. We have beautiful fires almost every day starting in October, and tiny natural gas bills. There seems to me to be far greater "turn-on" utility to our situation than a few romance fires in an open fireplace each year.

Plus, what would we do with all this wood around here?

By all means keep the wife happy. But a flush insert may make for harder heated air transfer, and no cooking surface in power outage or just because you can.

We have measured. The Voyageur simply won't fit without a complete destruction of the old steel insert.

My wife in turn has looked and chose the 4100i Quadra-Fire unit. 2" of depth difference looks like it's going to make a world of difference for clearances plus bigger firebox.

My only concern is the room downstairs is only about 300sq ft before the mud room. I'm guessing just smaller fires when we inhabit that room and load er' up when we go to bed.

I cleaned the stone around the opening tonight. Messy job. But after just buying $530 in heating oil I'm ready for a change.

We are ordering the stove next week. $2700 seemed fair

Attachments

• Insert Project about to start...
    IMG_9719.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 82
That's a good looking and heating insert. Should make the wife happy too.

Reactions: Jlinz911
ITS HERE!

picked up the insert today.

Took some extra special hunky engineering to get it in the garage. Had it on my trailer then used a Couple car dollys under her and pulled it in with the quad and winch.

Not bad for loading and unloading all alone...

The 25ft of pre insulated chimney liner came earlier in the week. I'm gonna install after thanksgiving.

Insert Project about to start...