Insert question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seaside

Feb 3, 2013
Hello all
I'm new to the forum and have a few questions and appreciate the guidance
I have a larger fireplace (still looking for a mantle) and since it mostly sucks all the heat out of my newer house (built in 2008 geo thermal heating etc) I would like to put in an insert or a nice wood burning stove(but doubt stove is an option)
I like the look of the Osborn matrix but actual fireplace is much larger than dimensions given so what to do?

Also in running a chimney liner I have a large concrete cap at top of chimney, so not sure how this affects install of liner since really cant be feed from top or can be done at all

My avatar is my fireplace
Located in ri
Looking for old barn timber for mantle

Thank you in advance

Welcome!! You're at the right place for your questions.

Give us more info like an internal dimension of your fireplace. Hearth pad size in front of the fireplace, Chimney height, How large is your room/home that you want to heat. That will give us more thing to chew.

And first thing first - start collecting firewood now even before you buy stove. Wood needs at least a year to dry and most likely the firewood sold on the market/deliver is not as dry as they advertise.

Cheers......Som

Greetings Seaside. First thing is to rotate that fireplace. It won't heat too well sideways.;) If this is a cell phone pic, take another shot with the phone held horizontally instead of vertical. If you can then post it using the "Upload File" option we can have a better visual than the tiny avatar thumbnail. Remove the fireplace screen first so that we get a clearer view.

We'll need the fireplace dimensions and more info on the house. How many sq ft total will the insert be heating? How open is the floorplan and where is the fireplace in the house? The liner might be able to be pulled up the chimney if it is not restricted and clearances are good through the damper. If not, the concrete cap may need to be temporarily removed.

Hold off on the mantel until you know what insert is going in. That will give you more choices wrt clearances.

Chimney probably 35ft + or -
Hearth is 26 deep 50+ wide
Fireplace opening is 41 3/4 wide 24 deep 35 high back wall 26 3/4
House is 3200 sqft max
Believe interior flu is 9x9 possibly larger
Hope that helps
Storing wood for years kind of hoarding it even though storm sandy sucked plenty of down trees though

Yes that helps. With that kind of chimney height you may be better off going down a size in the liner. Where is the fireplace located, in the basement? If so, how will the heat get upstairs? is there a nearby open and wide staircase to upstairs?

Sounds like you can put in a freestanding stove or an insert with an oversized surround. What is your preference?

Wood gathered during Sandy will not be ready to burn until next season at the earliest and not for another couple years if it is oak.

Fireplace is on first floor but we have a open floor plan to second floor
Would rather go insert wood burning
I picked up extra from sandy but have been hoarding for years
Thank you for help

I've never use the Osborn, but it should fit in your fireplace well. Typically the insert should be smaller than the fireplace opening, and use the face place to cover the surround gaps. See Osborn Matrix website and select Accessories and you'll see faceplate up to 50" wide.

But the Matrix spec is only up to 2000 sq.ft. so it won't completely heat the whole house. I assume that your is well insulated being a newly constructed home so it should work OK combine with the geothermal heater. Opting for the hearth stove that begreen suggested will get you warmer due to more radiant heat though.

If you like flush insert, there are other brands too. Avalon/Lopi/FireplaceX (from Travis Industry), Jotul 350 or 550, and Morso S80 or 5660.

Status
Not open for further replies.