Insert Recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RielTime

Oct 15, 2006
NorthWest, NJ
Another newbie here, I just bought a house that has electric radiant heat in the ceiling and needless to say I need to supplement the heat. I have approximately 1800 square feet with most of it on the second floor. There is a masonry fireplace located in the den downstairs. The den is 18.5' X 12' with the fireplace located at the end of the 18.5' wall. There is a 5' X 7' opening on the other end of the room which opens to the stairs going to the second floor.

I want to place a wood burning insert in the fireplace. My questions is, what size stove should I use? We use the den and my concern is that it could get unbearably hot in that room. I have read a lot on this forum and have been to all the neighboring stove dealers and my wife and I have narrowed down our choices to the Hampton HI300 and the Pacific Energy mid size Pacific Insert. They are both similar in heat production.

There is an approximate $600 difference between the two but the wife prefers the looks on the Hampton. Also after listening the the fans in both units, the Hampton was noticeably quieter which is another reason the wife is leaning toward the Hampton. Would either of these units be too much heat for my room?

Thanks

Hi RielTime,
Welcome... Either insert is nice 75000 btu is good for your size house, with an insert fan noise is a big consideration. Also take a peek at http://www.regency-fire.com/Wood/Inserts/I2400/ also a nice insert all steel no short term maintenance. You want to have your insert working at its highest output on the coldest day of the year, if you over size you will under burn and create more creosote. Get the full chimney liner not the direct connect, allot of dealers try to push... you’ll have better draft, easier clean and piece of mind safety. Good luck post some PIC's when you get it installed.
JD

Status
Not open for further replies.