insert restoration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigtree400

Nov 22, 2010
eastern va
I just recently aquired an insert for my house. It is second hand and has been stored outside for about a year. It has some moderate rust, nuthing a wire wheel can't handle. When I get it cleaned up do I paint it or is there a stove polish or something to treat it with. My cousin recently did the same thing and he painted his with header paint or 1000 degree paint and after a few fires his paint is peeling.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sure, use stove polish.

I vote for paint. Polish was used mainly on old cast iron stoves before they had high temperature paint. You'll need to degrease it well if it's been polished before, since it will leave a waxy coating behind. Perhaps that's why your cousin's paint job failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.