Insert say's 6" liner , do they sell a 5.5" liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK installing a 6" did not go so well. $400 gone.
Can I install a smaller liner ... the unit ( Boston 1700 )
Or are there tricks for installing a 6"round liner in to say 6"x10" rectangular flue?
I do believe there are two bends .

How did you try to install it? A 6" liner uninsulated is about 6.25" OD so it wouldn't have fit no matter what it sounds like.

They do make 5.5" liners but what area does your stove require? 6" collar is 28 square inches and an oval liner may be a better fit. Rockford Chimney Supply sells all sorts of liner kits and figurations and has a conversion chart for each liner (round, oval, square, rectangle)

You might be able to break the clay tiles out and install an insulated liner but the offsets may make that hard and it won't be a DIY project most likely.

I'm sure others will chime in too. Here's a link to Rockford's site.

https://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com

All liner dealers sell 5.5". That 30 foot chimney should draft fine with one. Mine at 21' and 30+ feet do with 5.5".

OK if I went with the 5.5: do I need new fittings ( at stove and chimney) ?

why not ovalize the pipe?

I thought this was frown upon?
So now we have single wall, pre -insulated and smooth walled.. to many choices and prices!

OK if I went with the 5.5: do I need new fittings ( at stove and chimney) ?

Yeah. Requires 5.5 to six inch stove adapter and 5.5 top plate. Usually cheapest to buy it as a kit.

Or have the clay liner broken out and use the 6" liner you have. Or are you sure that the half inch less with the 5.5" will be enough to get it through?

I used a 5.5 on my Kodiak 1700. My chimney was shorter than yours. My stove worked great, and still does for the new owner (sold the house).

If your about to junk the old 6" liner that didn't fit I would try to ovalize it and try to get it to fit before buying a new liner. Either that or try to sell it on Craigslist for half price. It should sell this time of year pretty quickly

Final findings!!
Use cable not rope .. the com-along is your friend!
Got the 5.5 SS flue liner in and insert works like a charm!
Who said turning a 20'+ flexible tube is easy ... You now just keep turning it if you get stuck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.