insert ss temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mainstation

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2009
N.Ont.
OK, another topic on wood insert temps, I have a R14 insert , burn a seasoned mix of hardwoods, mostly maple and ash. The $10 thermometer on the front usually reads 300F, having gone as high as 475F. This reading is through the heavy plated steel of the insert so my question is : What do you think the SS flex pipe temp would be around 20" up the chimney. I am going up this weekend to inspect my chimney for clean out purposes .
I usually "open" the insert up once or twice a day if possible for an hour with the fan off.

The temperature recorded on the front has no relationship with the stack temperature. My stack temperature goes up when I reload and have the air open. Normally rises to about 600. At this time the top-centre-front of the insert where the air comes out is around 200. Once the air is closed, or almost closed the stack temp drops to around 250 and the top-centre-front temp is around 550 for nearly 2 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.