Insert standalone??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dtabor

Feb 8, 2007
Lake Elmore, VT
This may sound like a strange question, but is there any reason that an older insert being replaced as the primary heat cant be used as a stand alone stove in a basement situation? I am upgrading on the main heat source and wondered since I already OWN the old one, if it could be put up on blocks or something in the basement just to take the chill off down there, not as a constant heating unit. There is already an open flue access there from the previous owner anyway.

D

I don't see why not. Just make sure you observe clearances to combustible objects and ensure it's sitting on an approved hearth with proper clearances. I would expect the insert would just not perform quite as well as a similar size free-standing because of the shroud.

just that its not listed for that and would be a illeagle installation. Its only approved for a retro fit situation. If you burnt the house down to the ground, your insurance woundt pay.

you cant make your own stoves. If you want a free standing stove you need to buy one. If you have a insert.. its just that, a insert, nothing more.

Well, than answers my question...was just looking to maybe recycling!! Guess I'll see if I can sell it then and recoup some money toward the new one.

You'd be better off selling it and buying a freestanding stove, like you said. Installing a hearth appliance completely outside of its listed installation guidelines is probably not a great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.