Insert starving for air....poor draft ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Belly

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2011
Connecticut
No problems with the insert (I think), or wood supply (Maple / Ash), been pretty good till the reload this morning. This is the first cold morning we've had.....21*F, with wind chills into the mid / low teens. When I shut the door on the insert, the fire dies down considerably, I did finally get a good fire going, and the insert seems to be burning ok...stove temps coming up on 600*F. Could it be a draft issue caused by the weather change ?....the insert cooled down to 200*F before the reload, so I'm thinking the cooler Flue temps, along with the weather change, caused a draft issue....what say the experts ?. Exterior Brick Chimney (circa 1978), Tile Flue fully lined (unisulated)....about 18ft. total.

I think you have it down - super cold along with the stove being very low...didn't have enough going to cause draft!

It's handy to have a bunch of smaller wood and kindling around in the morning to get the fire freshened up and roaring. That will re-warm the chimney...and, yes, you often have to keep the door cracked for a few minutes to get it all lit and going.

Reactions: Beer Belly
That about covered it, but I noticed that I got more creosote when I just had a tile lined chimney. It's possible that you have some draft restriction on the top or on your chimney cap.

Matt

That about covered it, but I noticed that I got more creosote when I just had a tile lined chimney. It's possible that you have some draft restriction on the top or on your chimney cap.

Matt
I periodically check it with my camera, and zoom lens (rather than getting out the ladder)....can't find my binoculars. If it looks remotely clogged, I'll climb up there, but never had to (never say never), and it's got very little crud on when I do my twice a year sweep (sometimes, once a year).

Status
Not open for further replies.