Insert Stove and Chimney cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyf0614

Jul 17, 2007
Hello, this is my first posting. I recently purchased a 35 year old home. The house has a Woodburning Insert Stove. A Fireking to be exact. I had one chimney vendor come out for an estimate and cleaning of stove and chimney. Evidently, I have a major creosote buildup. They want to to clean the chimney with a machine, using chains. I have a clay liner as well. Not knowing the price, they quoted me apprixmately, $500, for a sweep first, and machine cleaning of chimney, and cleaning of the stove. I also do not have any connector pipe into the flue. I didn't get an estimate on that.

After speaking with another vendor, they would do the cleaning, but said that would only reconnect the stove with a Steel liner. I thought that was odd, especially if my current flue is in fine condition.

Can someone help me with a realistic cost of what the cleaning should cost me in addition to adding the connector tube. What can I expect to pay if I add a new insulated steel liner as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Don't take this the wrong way without a connector and block off plate everytime you fire that stove you are putting your life and famillies life in jepardy.
That installation would get comdemed by todays code standards The cresote build up is the early warning shot. That stove is a old smoke dragon cresote producing factory

If you are serious about wood heating and safety, that stove should be in the scrap yard. Yes it would be safer in a separate stainless steel liner

That stove is probably 30 or more years old it has served its usefull service F save your money cleanning that stove and start looking into a modern replacement
you will use less wood produce equal or greater heat and most important increase the safety factor. Many members here will seconf d my advice and help you choose a good replacement

probably not what you exoected to hear but an honest assesment Welcome aboard the Hearth The life you save could be your own think about it

What Elk says is true. I also had an older fireplace insert that I used for twenty years and just replaced this last burning season. The older inserts just "dump" into the chimney and create a ton of creosote buildup which will and does cause chimney fires that are a frequent cause of house fires. I had to clean that chimney five or six times a season. Now it is one quick clean-up at the end of the burning season.

If you want to burn wood you really should replace the stove and have that chimney cleaned and the chimney relined with a stainless steel liner all the way to the top. And then connect that liner to a modern clean burning insert. The savings in wood consumption and chimney cleanings alone will pay for the installation in short order, not to mention the safety factor.

Welcome to hearth.com. and be glad you came here and be glad you asked the question. We don't sell stoves or chimney liners. We just want you to burn happily and safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.