Insert Suggestions for a Heatilator Element 36" ZC Fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Would anyone have any suggestions for a good quality insert with as large a firebox as possible for a Heatilator Element 36" ZC fireplace. The brochure for the fireplace ( http://content.hearthnhome.com/downloads/brochures/ELEMENT.PDF ) says the dimensions are 21" h, 34" front width, 20.5" back width, 16.75" deep.

Does it even pay to try to install an insert into this, or will the firebox of the insert be incredibly small?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Remember your stove won't go all the way back into the fireplace and 34-21 is quite a taper. Measure the width of the fireplace at the depth of the stoves your looking at.

Yes, it's worth it!

I have the exact same fireplace. I had no idea what I was doing when I had it installed. I replaced a heatilator novus 36 with it. I must admit that I like it better then watching gas burn but I am a little disapointed in it's heating capability and man can it eat the wood! I too have been looking around for some way to get some more heat out of it. I even called Heatilator. They told me it was designed for looks not heat. oops. Actually, I wanted the EC36 but it had been discontinued. Now that I have done some research I should have just installed a wood stove. Lesson learned I guess.

Wow, that's weird! After heating with our QuadraFire 2100i insert for the last 5 years, there would be no way I would go with a conventional zc fireplace, for esthetics only! After talking to some local stove places, I think there'll be something that fits. Something else that I might consider is taking out the Element and replacing it with a QuadraFire 7100 fireplace. It's almost too big for my house though! I wonder if there are smaller similar type units. The flushness of it appeals to the little woman, who has nixed a free-standing stove. That Quadrafire apparently uses the same chimney system that the Element uses! Of course the geometry would of fitting the chimney to the stove has to be made to fit, within the confines of the existing chase. The height and depth of the framed opening has to be changed, but if the chase is big enough, I think it's a possibility.

Attachments

• 7100fp_lg.jpg
    7100fp_lg.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 475
Status
Not open for further replies.