insert surround 1/2 inch or less, short on both sides of fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
my opening is 41" and the surround looks like it is 40. Two questions:
1) now air will be brought in around insert, will that be a problem, since it is not tight?
2) what can I put around the insert to fill the gap?

Can you describe the surround material and the fireplace material?

The main problem should be only cosmetic. That is, your insert has an airtight connection to a 6" stainless steel pipe going to the top of your chimney, right? I assume you also have a flashing or other cover at the top of the chimney if one is needed, e.g., if you have run a liner inside an existing masonry/tile chimney, say. The air affect result when the insert is off is no worse, most likely less, than having a fireplace with the damper open, partly open.

The insert will get very hot when used, so you'll need to use something that can stand the heat.

Is this a new insert? If so, go back to the supplier to see what they have to extend the surround, may have something "off the shelf", if not they may have a sheet metal shop that can make you something.

woodsie8 said:
Coming Soon
Hampton HI1300
Enamel surrround

they offer a 48 inch surround ask you dealer to call
if not you will have to take it to a sheet metal guy and have one custom made
you spent good money on it so do whatever is pleasing to your eye

Yeah, get the extended surround. That cast iron puppy looks too good to patch the space with tin.

woodsie8 said:
Does anyone know for sure, that they have an extended surround for the HI1300, brown enamel insert??? They didn't offer that.....

ask i know they have one but i think its for 3 out of 4 colors..... but this was oct 2007 so call

Yes I installed one two weeks ago for a customer.

You are going to really like the hampton!!! Throws a lot of heat!

Woodsie, I didn't see your post earlier, but I got the larger surround for our Hampton, and we have the timberline brown. We had the same problem, just short on both sides. The larger surround is a bigger PITA to install than the smaller, but it looks good.

Thanks, Pulldownclaw........ I called and left a message several days ago to inquire and they have not returned my call. Could it be because they already have my $2700?

Maybe you need to be more persistent.

I guess so, Go Green. A tree came down on my vintage Airstream this week, I wrecked my knee snowboarding, and I got told I need to go to a cardiologist cuz the young ticker is not ticking like it is suppose to :) Just haven't had it in me, to chase the stove guy but I really want my stove in. They are chaining up this morning just up the road from me, hit with another storm. Hard to believe we are heading into May!

Ouch, that's a heck of a week. Sorry to hear about the setbacks, but I would try call them at least twice a day, hopefully early or late in the day when they are in the shop and not out in the field. Otherwise they may just say, sorry, it's already arrived at our shop.

I had purchased the floor model for $2650 with the smaller surround. Then I noticed there was a small crack in the emamel around the fan part. He was checking on getting another fan piece, then I called about the larger surround. He called the factory and said if I would pay $200 more, he would just get a brand new one brought over from the factory with the larger surround. I feel good about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.