Insert Surround Question While Insulating Firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
I am having my Jotul 550 reinstalled so I can add Durock to the back and sides, more Roxul in the damper and a metal block off plate.

Currently getting the surround on and off is a PITA because of the original (crooked) install so I want to correct that as well for inspection and because I have heard that in a power outage folks remove the surround of their inserts and get much more heat.

I don't want to run on a day to day basis w/o the surround but I am wondering if I should set the insert forward slightly so that the surround would be a 1/2" or so off the brick face. Thinking that this would let some more heat out. It would not be visible or detract from the looks. Waste of time?

If the 550 is like the 450 I found lifting the surround up from the center was the easiest way, straight up so if you could have it a quarter inch off the wall it would probably be easier.

Thanks Mellow for hashing this out with me.

The professional installers actually had to chip a little brick above and below the surround to fit it. To get it on one had to tip the insert forward just slightly so the tabs would catch. Once they let it rest the surround was wedged against the brick fairly tightly. Had to incrementally lever the surround up with a large screw driver to get it off.

I guess my ques is; should I leave the surround relatively tight to the brick to retain heat and let the fans do the job or leave it off a bit and let that heat out? The face of the surround gets pretty hot so there is heat "trapped" back there. I also imagine Jotul designed the stove to work w/o relying on the firebox it is sitting in since that's so variable so I'm thinkin', why not let that heat into the room?

Status
Not open for further replies.