Insert Surround Too Small

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dollyzimm

Oct 5, 2008
Central PA
Hi, I'm a newbie to pellet stoves and I'm hoping you can help me out. I have purchased a used EarthStove HP40 - not picked up yet - but the surround will be about 4 inches too short. Side to side should be about perfect. I have a gray stone fireplace. Any ideas on how to fill that four-inch gap and still be attractive to look at? The fireplace itself is a piece of art and I don't want to degrade it.

Thanks.

In the past, I have made sheet metal angles and fastened them to the lintel (the metal holding the brick up) - and thereby made the opening lower. Then I installed the panels against this. You can easily find matching paint for the sheet metal.

Another thought is to raise up the insert on a platform of 4 or 6" blocks laid on the floor of the fireplace - then you can treat the front of them in various ways.

We have a fieldstone Rumford fireplace. Had the same problem with our Harman insert. Had two granite columns cemented to the front of the fireplace to provide a nice flat surface for the surround. Had a piece of sheetmetal cut to fill in the oversize space. Looke fine. See attached image.

Attachments

• Stove original.jpg
    Stove original.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 361
Status
Not open for further replies.