insert temperature decline times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCoBernie

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2008
Im wondering how long it takes for everyone's insert to go from about 550* to 300*. Mine dropped from 550 to 300 in 2 hours. is that normal? its 20* outside and i loaded the insert up with mullberry splits, got it to 550* then shut the air down to just about closed with the blower running on low speed.

That sounds normal to me. I have a regency 2400 and experience the same thing. Side note, is it in a masonry chimney or pre fab? Is it lined all the way with or without insullation?

regency said:
That sounds normal to me. I have a regency 2400 and experience the same thing. Side note, is it in a masonry chimney or pre fab? Is it lined all the way with or without insullation?

its an exterior masonry chimney complete with a block-off plate and a fully insulated 20ft ss liner.

Obviously I don't have a Regency so my experience would be different nor do I have Mulberry. There are going to be other factors such as demand for heat, MC of the wood, amount of draft, split size and placement, amount of ash and coal base, etc. that make it an apples to oranges comparison. After decades of burning, I still often wonder why I get varying results from one burn to another, even though I think I have all the factors figured out. I think the stove fairy plays with the settings when I'm not looking.

Sounds about right.
I have a Lopi Answer insert....pretty small firebox...and I bring to 550-575 and reload at 300 or so if really cold out....a little lower reload if not to cold.
I usually reload every 2.5-3 hours with 3 medium sized splits.

ok cool. these are encouraging replies. This is my first year burning and the first time i've had temps in the 20s. just wanted to make sure my unit was running the way its supposed to. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.