Insert temperature question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt93eg

Burning Hunk
Nov 18, 2013
North Carolina
Hey guys,

When researching wood stove temperature questions pertaining to what temperature is ok and when you have crossed the line into an over fire situation I seem to mainly only find info on free standing stoves and not inserts. I would assume one would be the same as the next but I got a bit scared the other night so I want to see if I was just over reacting.

The stove is a 2 week old Drolet Escape 1800i insert as some of you already know from some other threads of mine.

The other night I loaded the stove before bed. I loaded N/S and packed it for the longest burn possible. I left primary air open to get the wood good and charred and took a quick shower in the meantime. Came back and closed primary down to 1/2. About 15 mins later I bumped it down to a 1/4 open and went to bed. At this time my Rutland thermometer on the left side of the stove body was reading about 425. The curing paint smell has been gone for a week or so. Well I was in bed and had not fell asleep and I started smelling that paint smell so I assumed the stove was hot. I got up to check and the rutland was reading 550. I checked this with my IR and it was pretty much on the money believe it or not. The middle of the stove top was reading in the 600s with the IR. I sat there a bit and the rutland was then reading 575.

I figured this was ok and man was it throwing the heat. I was wanting to go to bed and the temp was still climbing almost reading 600. So I opened the air up and let it cool down a bit and then knocked it back down to a 1/4.

Did I over react and should have just left it alone? My fear was that I would go back to bed and it would keep climbing to temps that were to hot. If I would have been staying up I would have left it alone and just kept a check on it.

I can't find anything in my Drolet manual about what temp it should not be ran past. The rutland starts reading Overfire at 600.

I would not be too worried about a steel stove running at 600. Mine often runs at 700 or 725. I wouldn't want it much hotter than that personally.

It will take you a while to get comfortable with the stove and find it's proper heating curve. Obviously you have no stack probe thermometer but sometimes that can be used as a guide.

Was the blower running?

My thoughts are that you simply didn't have the stove that hot yet and a bit more paint curing occured. I still get that smell when I leave my bypass open too long on startup and the flu temps reach 700 or so.

Andrew

Reactions: oconnor
Swedishchef, Yes I am for sure still learning, no doubt about that. Yes the blower was running on the highest setting.

Also, you are right, that was the first time I had gotten the stove that hot so the paint curing on out was normal as well in my opinion.

I never run my blower at high speed unless I fear it's getting to hot ( around 600 or so) other than that I turn it down to where it barely audible.

Status
Not open for further replies.