Insert Thoughts / Suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the thoughts and input. I have spoke with many individuals who have the Clydesdale that are very pleased with it. Therefore, I do believe I am going to go that route. I spoke to the place that does the installations and sales. Anyone have any thoughts on this quote? I'm curious what the mark up / negotiation ability is on it. I was thinking offering him $4,700, so if he does end up having to go extra step it stays at an even $5,000. I also think this would be fair, but then again, I'm not too sure on profit margins. I would expect it to be fairly high.

The cost of installation is slightly higher as he said they have to cut out the prior damper and some of the wall to open it up, as it is an old system. There is a potential $300 increase if he has to take apart the mantel since it the chimney makes a very tight angle. The chimney liner is a 316 Ti alloy with 7 ply seam and 10 corrugations according to the brochure. It says it has a trademarked "Quick cap / Quick top plate / Quick Tee" system. I do not believe I have the technical knowledge for such an application, nor do I want to risk incorrectly installing it. If this was a standard chimney requiring minimal demolition, I'm sure my more saavy friends could manage. Hopefully this provides a basis for others who are looking at this stove in the future too!

$3,899 - Clydesdale insert in Brown enamel
$780 - Full kit for chimney liner
$100 - Insulation for around the damper/insert/etc
$1,200 - Labor / Installation
$4,979 - all tax out the door cash deal
I feel it is a bit high, a lopi dealer gave me a quote of $5200 .
I got my montpelier enamel brown, upgraded surround for under $3000, chimney liner for $600, I picked it up an I installed it with my handy man for $100
All I can say is shop around. I got 3 different prices from 3 different dealers that sold the montpelier...

To install is three hours maximum, why charge extra? Will he be there all day long? I bet no...it took me and my guy less than three hours to install and we don't do it for a living..... Do you know what I'm saying?

Also your math is off. If you add it all up it is $7G

I paid $600 for chimney liner, another dealer wanted $790 for the same liner... Shop around

This is a good time to buy. There will be discounts and rebates coming up. There is no need to hurry. I'm no insert expert, but that bid looks really high to me. Keep looking and researching.

Do, however, get your wood in now. At this time, that's more urgent than the stove.

Hey,

Great points on this quote. I honestly love the, "the quote math is incorrect!". When I read that, I grabbed the quote and about died. The quote is literally for $4974, out the door. Sounds like a major mess up, or something on his part. I wonder what I can negotiate with in terms of the quote. It's valid for 60 days from 5-10-13. I'm thinking I should take them up on the $5k quote if the math is that incorrect. I do plan on ordering in slabs. I need to burn a pile of brush so I have room first. Any ideas on where to look for installers? I have no installers within a 25 mile radius for the previously mentioned programs.

In regard to the potential extra for the installation, it is because they may have to take apart the hearth to properly get the chimney in place. It would include the removal and reinstallation of the brick face for accessibility. There is a very, very sharp angle required to connect in with the insert.

Hey,

Great points on this quote. I honestly love the, "the quote math is incorrect!". When I read that, I grabbed the quote and about died. The quote is literally for $4974, out the door. Sounds like a major mess up, or something on his part. I wonder what I can negotiate with in terms of the quote. It's valid for 60 days from 5-10-13. I'm thinking I should take them up on the $5k quote if the math is that incorrect. I do plan on ordering in slabs. I need to burn a pile of brush so I have room first. Any ideas on where to look for installers? I have no installers within a 25 mile radius for the previously mentioned programs.

They forgot to add the 1 in the $1200. You could probably shave $1400 off the cost if you DIY. Otherwise, maybe go for a much less expensive insert? Those Clydesdales are getting pricey.

Listen, installing the 6" flexible pipe and climbing up the latter is not easy but canbe done very easily with a guy you pay by the hour. In other words, it takes work, but in under 3 hours of unboxing the insert and doing the install, you can have a fire going, why pay $1200 for that. I'm lucky to have a handy man that I pay $20 hr. so it cost me 60 to get it done. Even if you pay someone 150, you are ahead of the game

In regard to the potential extra for the installation, it is because they may have to take apart the hearth to properly get the chimney in place. It would include the removal and reinstallation of the brick face for accessibility. There is a very, very sharp angle required to connect in with the insert.
Get a second opinion on that....

Someone forgot to take their Riddlin ;-)

Skip the insulation in the damper area, and have them install a proper metal block off plate.

Thanks for the input. I agree that the clydesdales are getting pricy. Unfortunately, most of the ones that my wife likes are around the same range in price. Any ideas where I can call general handymen for hourly rates? It's a shame I'm not still working up at Home Depot. I used to know quite a few of them.

Hogwildz, can you explain what you mean by a proper metal block off plate? The one in the kit says you can hang 75 ft of 12 inch liner on the top plate. Granted, it's their advertisement.

Thanks for the input. I agree that the clydesdales are getting pricy. Unfortunately, most of the ones that my wife likes are around the same range in price. Any ideas where I can call general handymen for hourly rates? It's a shame I'm not still working up at Home Depot. I used to know quite a few of them.

Hogwildz, can you explain what you mean by a proper metal block off plate? The one in the kit says you can hang 75 ft of 12 inch liner on the top plate. Granted, it's their advertisement.
The one in the kit is most likely the upper plate for the top of the chimney. The lower block off plate is made of of s.s. or galvanized sheet metal, and closes off the damper area around the liner. Do a search on block off plates, and you will get plenty of info & pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.