1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Insert Thoughts / Suggestions

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by schlemoc, May 3, 2013.

1. Ram 1500 with an axe...

Ram 1500 with an axe... Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    I feel it is a bit high, a lopi dealer gave me a quote of $5200 .
    I got my montpelier enamel brown, upgraded surround for under $3000, chimney liner for $600, I picked it up an I installed it with my handy man for $100
    All I can say is shop around. I got 3 different prices from 3 different dealers that sold the montpelier...

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Ram 1500 with an axe...

Loc:
    New Jersey
    To install is three hours maximum, why charge extra? Will he be there all day long? I bet no...it took me and my guy less than three hours to install and we don't do it for a living..... Do you know what I'm saying?
  3. Ram 1500 with an axe...

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Also your math is off. If you add it all up it is $7G
  4. Ram 1500 with an axe...

Loc:
    New Jersey
    I paid $600 for chimney liner, another dealer wanted $790 for the same liner... Shop around
  5. Sprinter

Sprinter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Washington
    This is a good time to buy. There will be discounts and rebates coming up. There is no need to hurry. I'm no insert expert, but that bid looks really high to me. Keep looking and researching.

Do, however, get your wood in now. At this time, that's more urgent than the stove.
  6. schlemoc

schlemoc New Member

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Hey,

Great points on this quote. I honestly love the, "the quote math is incorrect!". When I read that, I grabbed the quote and about died. The quote is literally for $4974, out the door. Sounds like a major mess up, or something on his part. I wonder what I can negotiate with in terms of the quote. It's valid for 60 days from 5-10-13. I'm thinking I should take them up on the $5k quote if the math is that incorrect. I do plan on ordering in slabs. I need to burn a pile of brush so I have room first. Any ideas on where to look for installers? I have no installers within a 25 mile radius for the previously mentioned programs.
  7. schlemoc

schlemoc New Member

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    In regard to the potential extra for the installation, it is because they may have to take apart the hearth to properly get the chimney in place. It would include the removal and reinstallation of the brick face for accessibility. There is a very, very sharp angle required to connect in with the insert.
  8. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    They forgot to add the 1 in the $1200. You could probably shave $1400 off the cost if you DIY. Otherwise, maybe go for a much less expensive insert? Those Clydesdales are getting pricey.
  9. Ram 1500 with an axe...

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Listen, installing the 6" flexible pipe and climbing up the latter is not easy but canbe done very easily with a guy you pay by the hour. In other words, it takes work, but in under 3 hours of unboxing the insert and doing the install, you can have a fire going, why pay $1200 for that. I'm lucky to have a handy man that I pay $20 hr. so it cost me 60 to get it done. Even if you pay someone 150, you are ahead of the game
  10. Ram 1500 with an axe...

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Get a second opinion on that....
  11. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    Someone forgot to take their Riddlin ;-)
  12. Hogwildz

Loc:
    Skip the insulation in the damper area, and have them install a proper metal block off plate.
  13. schlemoc

schlemoc New Member

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Thanks for the input. I agree that the clydesdales are getting pricy. Unfortunately, most of the ones that my wife likes are around the same range in price. Any ideas where I can call general handymen for hourly rates? It's a shame I'm not still working up at Home Depot. I used to know quite a few of them.

Hogwildz, can you explain what you mean by a proper metal block off plate? The one in the kit says you can hang 75 ft of 12 inch liner on the top plate. Granted, it's their advertisement.
  14. Hogwildz

Loc:
    The one in the kit is most likely the upper plate for the top of the chimney. The lower block off plate is made of of s.s. or galvanized sheet metal, and closes off the damper area around the liner. Do a search on block off plates, and you will get plenty of info & pics.
  15. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA