Insert to Free standing stove conversion help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mainstation

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 4, 2009
N.Ont.
Greeting,
I have admittedly been away for a few years but when I was a regular visitor I recall an article/post about converting an existing masonry fireplace into a usable flue for a free standing woodstove. My current setup is a red bricked hearth that has a Regency I3100 pushing heat out using a fan. The chimney is an external stone chimney that has a 5" SS flex liner to exhaust the smoke. I would like to remove the interior red brick and go with a decent free standing wood stove instead of listening to the insert fan rattle all day/night.
I seem to recall years ago one poster had done this and posted his progress with photos on this site. A link to that post or any other advice in proceeding would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
ms

I do not have a write up on my install, but I do have a very similar install to what you are wanting. I have a blaze king princess slammer for about 25 years. I replaced it with a freestanding Hearthstone. See the stove n my avatar. If I did it again (I will, the Hearthstone stove is awesome pretty but a wood gobbler and a poor heat producer) I will be installing a blaze king again. I would love to be able to go to sleep and still have coals in the morning for the relight.