Insert to free standing...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freddy

Jan 23, 2008
Portland, Oregon
Hello all...I am in the process of remodeling my hearth and set up. I removed my old Scan insert and would like to put in a Jotul F45 free standing. I chose this for the rear venting option. I removed my elevated hearth so the stove can sit as close as possible to the wall. I would also like to add durock and veneer stone to close off the hole (minus the hole for the exhaust) The apparent problem from my dealer is cleaning the flue. He says I need access to the old firebox to clean out the flue that will have a 'T' in place. Does anyone have a similar set up? I know there has to be an easier way. I don't mind cleaning from top and bottom if necessary as long as I don't have to move the 400# stove.

Firebox dimensions:

Floor to opening 13"
Floor to top of opening 37"
Width of box 36"

Pic attached.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• wood stove.png
    wood stove.png
    213.2 KB · Views: 157
Yes you can do that it will make it a little harder to clean but absolutely still possible.

I can not see how you could clean it if you can not get to the bottom at all. T is usually easier then a 90 because you can just pull the cap off of the bottom of the T and let the dirt fall out. It would be cool if they made a T with a spring door on the bottom. Your still going to have to get in there to pull the cap off the T and clean up the dirt that falls out. Unless you can get into that 90 from inside the stove but most new stoves have an air baffle that make that harder then moving them.

That's what I was wondering..? .If I could sweep from top and perhaps vacuum out from the inside where it turns??? Maybe I should just stick with an insert again??

That's what I was wondering..? .If I could sweep from top and perhaps vacuum out from the inside where it turns???
Yes exactly just like you would in a regular chimney with a tee and no clean out we clean many like that and a few set up like you are proposing We even have equipment we can clean setups like yours from the bottom

That's what I was wondering..? .If I could sweep from top and perhaps vacuum out from the inside where it turns??? Maybe I should just stick with an insert again??

Look inside the stoves and or inserts you are considering and see if you can get to the flue. In my stove there is no way to see or get to the flue, I have to remove a part of my chimney to clean it.

It is not insert vs free standing that will determine this. It is the air baffle design that will determine it. Most modern efficient stoves that I looked at you can not see the flue or chimney when you look inside, even the inserts.

I did what you are thinking well sort of. We had an old fashioned fireplace and had to decide insert or free standing. Ultimately we decided to rip out the 4' by 8' Fireplace and go with a free standing. It was a ton of work but the living room looks sooooo much nicer now and we love our Hearthstone Heritage. We realize now we probably would have been fine with the smaller homestead but I like the versatility of the larger firebox.

Last edited:
A freestanding stove can make a nice difference. How large an area will the stove be heating?

Sounds like a good plan. The F45 is a nice stove.

It was a toss between that and the PE super. I like the looks of the PE better but no rear exhaust. I think it would look funny doing a 90 straight out of the top. Choosing a stove is not an easy process to say the least!!

I was thinking the Pacific Energy Super has a easily removed baffle so flue access would be easy.

Coming off the stove with a 90 to a horiz to another 90 may make for poor draft in mild weather. Sounds like the stove will be on the hearth partially under the lintel.

Status
Not open for further replies.