Insert to freestanding. Hope im not messin' up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bone1099

Jan 5, 2009
Northwest GA
I have heated 4 yrs with a Fisher wood burning insert with circulator box and a blower (blower is rigged up and hideous but works well) I am currently rebuilding a VC Vigilant final assembly tonight :) I Hope Im not downgrading in quality, ease of operation, or heating capacity. My home is 1800Sq ft with poor layout for heating from one area. I hope im not messing up?

You are not messing up. I tell my kids all the time that if you don't make mistakes you don't make anything.

You are trying something new and will find out if it works for you or not.

Another quote I use a lot is, 'It is better to aim at something and miss than it is to aim at nothing and hit it.'

Just consider it experience. ;-)

I say bravo to you.

Bone,

You will love your Vigilant. No noisy insert blower, power cord, electric use, etc.

It is very different from your insert, but certainly wood burning the way it should be. Well done!

Post some photos as the project goes along and a final one.

mistakes.jpg

If you do a good job refurbishing the Vigilant you should be a proud and happy camper. That's a great stove and a good heater. It should have no problem with heating your house. Just stick to dry wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.