insert with open or closed door burn option

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pittsig

Sep 14, 2008
Central NC
Hey all. Thanks for a great, informative site. I've searched, but didn't find much info on zero clearance inserts with ability to operate with door open or closed.

We're adding on to our 1400 sq ft ranch with approx. 700 square feet with new fireplace on exterior wall. We wanted an efficient model, but also have the ability to burn with the door open to get the full sight and sound fire effect on occasion. We realize that burning with the door open would decrease efficiency, and of course don't want smoke rolling back into house.

We figured on EPA cert zero clearance and talked to a dealer who recommended RSF Opel or Topaz. Talked to another dealer who suggested Quad 7100. He also gave us a brochure on a Heatilator model, but I really don't remember if he said door open burn was okay.

Our builder hasn't worked with the RSF dealer and our builder thinks his usual subcontractors can provide & install similar model at less expense. One suggested a Buckmaster, but the response to my query from Buck specifically said it was designed to burn with door closed only.

So... are there any other zc insert models out there that can burn either with door open or closed?

Thanks!

If you want ambiance, get a gas fireplace. If you want heat, nothing with a door open is going to heat or save you money.
Watch that heat & dollar signs flow right up & out the chimney.
Do a lil more research to help you make a decision that seems you may be rushing into.

P.S. Welcome aboard, not trying to sounds harsh, just don't want to see you spend money on maybe thew wrong thing.
Take your time, do it right.

I was considering the RSF at one time. But already had a fireplace and instead of tearing it out, opted for an insert.
The quad I had always envied until the recent problems with the cracking they are experiencing. Not bashing, just concerned.
I would be mucho pissed off if I had just spent that much cash and the thing cracked under normal operation, only to find a bolt on patch fix.
I understand its being addressed, but if I bought a car and the frame cracked, and they sent me or had a mechanic put a patch to bolt on to repair it. I'd be severely pissed off. Or you purchased a new furnace and the heat chamber cracked, and they sent you a patch to bolt on, would that float with you? Not me.
Keep in mind, one problem does not make a whole company & its products garbage. I just weigh the money shelled out to the problem. I'd be pissed and the only pleasing me would be a new part or unit free of charge.
Those 7100's are not cheap.
The Heatilator I know nothing about.
If I was doing it with a new fireplace, I would go with the RSF or another comparable, and get one that had the option to run ducting off to better distribute the heat around my home.
Good luck in your decision.

Thanks for the info Hogwildz. No offense taken.

Yea, I know if we open the door, heat and money goes up and out. We just would prefer the ability to do so if we so choose. That's why I said on occasion we would like to be able to open the door.

Ooops, probably not a ZC clearance insert.

Mea culpa.

I apologize for the goose chase. I'll be back on track soon.

I'm a bit confused now. Are you looking for a fierplace, or insert?
The 7100 and RSF are fireplaces. The PE Pacific is an insert which you put into a fireplace.

The 7100 has a screen to be used in place of the doors. I have not orded the screen yet but i could not imagine the amt of heat without the door on!

Status
Not open for further replies.