Insert with propane out,in with pellet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
4 level home, with pe wood insert on first level which keeps the first 2 levels nice and toasty. 24k btu propane insert on 3rd level with ceiling that graduate to 12ft with a ceiling fan,reluctant to run it too much because of the high cost of propane, and even when I do it isn`t really adequate to heat the 3rd and 4th level.

Could I install something like the enviro milan insert with a set-back thermostat (programable thermostat). And say, if the settings were -- 6am 70, 8am 60, 4pm 70 and 10pm 60...would I probably use a bag or less of pellets per 24 hr cycle? Reason for asking this somewhat complicated question is I have spent $800 on oil this year for our old oil-fired boiler and $600 for that propane insert and $800 for wood that is delivered csd. And with that only the bottom 2 levels are at a nice 74-80f and the top 2 are usually sitting around 55-64f.

Bottom line question is there any loot to be saved and comfort to be gained by swapping out the propane for the pellet insert?

sonnyinbc said:
4 level home, with pe wood insert on first level which keeps the first 2 levels nice and toasty. 24k btu propane insert on 3rd level with ceiling that graduate to 12ft with a ceiling fan,reluctant to run it too much because of the high cost of propane, and even when I do it isn`t really adequate to heat the 3rd and 4th level.

Could I install something like the enviro milan insert with a set-back thermostat (programable thermostat). And say, if the settings were -- 6am 70, 8am 60, 4pm 70 and 10pm 60...would I probably use a bag or less of pellets per 24 hr cycle? Reason for asking this somewhat complicated question is I have spent $800 on oil this year for our old oil-fired boiler and $600 for that propane insert and $800 for wood that is delivered csd. And with that only the bottom 2 levels are at a nice 74-80f and the top 2 are usually sitting around 55-64f.

Bottom line question is there any loot to be saved and comfort to be gained by swapping out the propane for the pellet insert?

it depends if you can heat most of your house with the pellet stove or not
How much can you get pellets for and can you store them.

I say Pellet is a big savings over LP or OIL but there are a lot of people that use the number game and say no.
I use Real heat test and not numbers to get my opinion.

I just know it cost most of my customers in our mild climate to heat 1600 to 2000 sq feet from $600 to $900 a year to heat with pellet. and stay warm from Sept to April.
I have customers that installed pellets stoves after using there Central LPG heating that spent $900-$2500 for the season and kept the house at a Lower Temperature and did not feel as warm.

Now a LP fire place is a little different
Your insert is only 25K? that is small. if you ran that for 3.5 hours you would use a gallon of LP.
Getting the same heat from a pellet stove you would use about 3.5 pounds an hour
now if you use the numbers game that will show you would use 2 bags in 24 hours
I dont agree with that.
I heat 1900 sq feet keep my house 72 deg and only use 40 pounds (1 bag) in 24 hours.
when it is COLD below 20 deg for long times I may use 1.5 bags in 24 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.