inserter advice/ help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stihlman

Dec 29, 2009
southern, va.
Hi guys, new to the board here and the world of heating with wood!! i am too excited! my wife and i just recently purchased a home here in southern, va. where the winters aren't too terribly bad but, who wants to pay for heat when you can get it with wood right? The house we purchased is 1800 sq. feet on one level. I have a very old wood burning insert that i am desperately needing to replace ASAP. It's rusting pretty bad, and the chimney man told me it was going to fail soon. I assume the jacket on the insert is going to get holes in it (not good). So, just inquiring about what size of insert do i need as far as square footage goes? i do have several BuckStove dealers in my area and was also wanting any info. or suggestions anyone can share...........Thanks in advance.......BJ

Just a friendly welcome and post bump- I'm not knowledgeable enough to make any recommendations.
You might want to post the dimensions of your fireplace so the guys can get specific with you.
They could also ask for specifics regarding your chimney- inside or outside wall, lining, condition, photos helpful.
Do you intend to do 100% of your heating with this insert or only supplement another heat source?

The real help will be along soon!

basically, the chimney is flue lined, it's been inspected recently and is in great shape. It's a single floor house, fireplace is in living room, 1808 square feet total living space. My intentions are to have the capability to heat my house with the insert, but i will also have electric heat, or heat pump, as my other source of heat. i'm not sure what the dimensions of my fireplace but it is fairly large. i priced a model 21 buck stove today for $815 and it is rated for 1800 sq. ft. but i'm not sure how accurate the manufacturers ratings are as compared to "real life" living situations.....There are some larger units that come with blowers and such, so, just curious if anyone can share some helpful hints or suggestions...........Thanks again!! BJ

Status
Not open for further replies.