Inserts and blockoff plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marky_mark896

Jan 20, 2008
Outside Bowling Green, Ohio
Hey guys,

I was just thinking about my setup, and wondered... would a blockoff plate help me keep more heat? I have 6" SS insulated flex liner running 25' or so in an interior chimney. Am I losing much heat off the top of my insert up the chimney? If I put a blockoff plate down below the fireplace's damper would it save me a bunch of heat, especially if I cut vents in the surround to let heat in from back there? I don't know if it would or not, I'm just learning about this stuff and was wondering how much heat I may be losing off the top of the stove back in the fireplace.

Thanks,
Mark

It would save SOME heat. But with the solid front panels, much of that saved heat does not end up in the room anyway...although some does by soaking into the masonry and even into the panels.

The ultimate in heat reclaiming would be to have a tight block off and then remove - or, as you mention - screen the panels so the heat could flow out. I would guess as much a 10-15% increase in delivered heat to the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.