Inserts and cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

3dogsrule

Oct 14, 2009
central Arkansas
Ok, never had an insert before, and the only thing I've learned for sure about all this wood heat stuff is how much I've yet to learn. I was looking at inserts and saw some (Regency) that stated "Means must be provided for the removal of the insert to clean the chimney flue". Now, does that mean that some/all inserts have to be taken out of the fireplace for some reason? Or does it just depend on the insert? Why would you have to take it out; I was assuming (yes I know what that word means) that a chimney cleaner could clean from the top, the crud falls into the insert and I scoop. Am I mistaken YET again???

Karen

As long as you have a full liner from the top of the chimney down to the insert, you can clean without removing the insert. Some inserts are installed as a "slammer" (vented directly into a masonry flue) or as a "direct connect" (again into a masonry flue, with with enough pipe to go up past the damper area and into a bit of the clay liner). Both of those types require that you remove the insert. Just go with a full liner and you're golden.

Wrong.

They scoop, and put it back together, and vacumm :p

Just make sure the insert can go in your ZC FP.

I haven't had a chance yet, but welcome to the forums !

It'll probably be me paying a neighbor (30 packs, my neighborhood's choice currency) to sweep my chimney so just wanted to make sure there wouldn't be anything complicated that'd need to be done. So, glad to hear it should be simple!!

Karen

Status
Not open for further replies.