Inserts and Thermometers???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chainsawdad

Hi Team,
I have just started using my two new Jotuls, an F400 Castine and a C450 Kennebec insert. I'm loving them!!! But I'm also still learning the ropes. I have a magnetic thermometer that I use on the Castine, but I can't figure out a way to attach a surface thermometer to the insert. So far, I've done the break-in fires in the Castine and monitored the temp, then tried to approximate the same heat output in the insert. Now they're both cranking (feels gooood!), and I'm wondering whether anyone knows of a way to monitor an insert's temp. If there is no way to do it, any advice on how to look for signs of over-firing or under-firing would be appreciated, since I'm new to this.
Thanks!

Congratulations. What temps are you seeing with the Castine? You can translate your burning lessons to the C450. As to a thermometer, that's a tough one. You'll probably need to use a laser infrared thermometer.

Thanks, BeGreen! I've been burning the Castine mostly in the 400-500 degree zone, although temp approached 600 one time until I cut back to the minimum on the air intake. It dies down to about 300 as the coals burn down fairly low. Being new to the stove, I'm probably fiddling with the controls more than I need to, but I'm still getting used to how it responds. What is the hottest you would recommend letting it get?

I've just been trying to follow a similar pattern of adding logs and controlling airflow with the Kennebec insert, which seems to be working okay so far.

Mike Wilson recommends putting the thermometer on the top of of the Kennebec, that is on the cabinet just behind the door frame. If your Kennebec is as flush as possible then the thermometer will be right undeneath the trim rod. You will probably need to rotate the thermometer 180* so that you can see the 300-600* range. Unfortunately you will need to get up and look at the thermometer; you can't glance at it from across the room.

See Mike's post and picture at: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/8690/

Status
Not open for further replies.