Inserts: Buck vs Osburn vs Lopi?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

runswithsizzers

Dec 2, 2008
on the edge
I've narrowed down my search for a new fireplace insert to these locally available units. I'll be getting my chimney relined at the time of install:
Buck Model 74
Osburn 1600
Lopi Revere, or the similar Republic 1750i

My initial impressions:
The Lopis have a generous cook top and bypass damper not available on the others - I think I'd like those features.

The Osburn 1600 is by far the best value among the 3 because the dealer will install a 316Ti SS flex liner for only $550 with a new stove purchase - others want twice or 3 times that.

Buck is an old brand that's been around for a while. I like the way the blower directs the hot air down at the front of the stove. Not sure about the stove-to-insert conversion which is done by the dealer, on site. Dealer wants $25 to give me an estimate on the install (the others charge nothing).

Can owner's of any of these inserts comment on pros and cons that are not obvious from reading the specifications?

The only other options in my area are Country Flame and Pacific Energy. I've not really looked at them closely - should I? That is, is there some significant advantage of these 2 over my first 3 picks?

Finally, the Osburn dealer says insulation of the liner is a waste of money in my clay-lined all masonry chimney, but literature from the Buck dealer implies it's unavoidably necessary. Since the interior of my clay flue liner measures 6.5"x11", trying to add insulation to a 6" pipe will greatly increase the complexity of the chimney reline. I'd prefer to clean the pipe a little more often rather than going to some kind of pricey oval, insulated pipe, unless it's really necessary. Comments?

All good stoves, from what I've heard. If the chimney is interior and flue is in good shape with regard to code/safety, I don't see why you'd need to insulate other than at the top and bottom of the liner. Have you discussed a blockoff plate with any of the dealers?

branchburner said:
All good stoves, from what I've heard. If the chimney is interior and flue is in good shape with regard to code/safety, I don't see why you'd need to insulate other than at the top and bottom of the liner. Have you discussed a blockoff plate with any of the dealers?

Exterior chimney. I believe the flue liner is in good shape. I'm still cutting out the remains of some metal heat-exchanger tubes built into the chimney throat - then cleaning - then I'll be able to see for sure what kind of shape the liner is in.

I did ask at least one dealer about a block-off plate. He assured me I don't need one, since fiberglass packed around the liner at top and bottom will prevent unwanted drafts. Is there some other reason for a block-off plate?

I'd still like to hear from any owners of a Buck 74, Osburn 1600, Lopi Revere, or Lopi Republic 1750i.

I have the Buck 74 insert. For my house, it does produce enough heat. The noise from the fan seems to be louder than a Jutol 450 I looked this past spring. On thr flip side -several people on this sitelove the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.