insert's combustion air source ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joel95ex

Nov 3, 2010
NE TX
when an insert is installed into either a pre-fab/factory fireplace or masonry fireplace, and no outside air kit is installed, and a stainless liner is installed, where is the combustion air coming from? ---inside air? will this not cool the house as replacement air is drawn in? or does the space between the chimney and chimney liner allow combustion air to enter the insert? I want to do an insert, but thought the real advantage was avoiding the consumption of inside air...

An insert consumes very little air compared to the fireplace. Many wood stoves allow connecting of and OAK, outside air kit. I am not sure whether any inserts offer that or not. Someone will be along that can answer that. I have an insert and it is not a problem. It just depends on your house and your set up.

You have to remember that by installing an EPA insert, you are going to put out far more heat than a regular open fireplace. Hotter burns, burning the smoke, capturing more heat into the living space... all with less air used. Yes, that air has to come from somewhere... and it seems many inserts do come with OAK options (just have to find the insert you like with this option). It's the same issue with stand-alone wood stoves... air has to come from somewhere... either OAK's, or from inside air (pulling outside air through leaks in the house).

So, the real advantage is actually the increased efficiency due to hotter, more complete burns. You are getting more heat for the air input, due to the insert controlling where the air goes, how it burns/reburns.

Status
Not open for further replies.