Inserts That Stick Out onto Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacksnipe

Jan 20, 2008
Bayfield Co. WI.
Looking at the Country Stoves Canyon C 310 & The Osburn 2400 Inserts that stick out onto the hearth , How is the performace of these units without running the blower. Does the insert top & sides that stick out radiate very much heat into the room that they are installed in. I'm curious if it harmful to run these units in such a manner.

Mine sticks out 8" (Lopi Republic 1750). I find almost no radiant heat benefit from it.

I think when it comes to inserts, you should discount any potential for significant radiant heat.

Get the blower....you will be happy that you did. I also have a Lopi Revere 1750i. When I want to limit my heat I turn my blower down or off. The blower is also another way to cool your insert if your temps get high, in addition to shutting down your air intake. I am happy I have the blower.

Check out the Regency H2100. That's what I'm running. It sticks out about 20" from the fireplace opening. When we first got it, we ran it for a week without the blower because it was on back order and it kept our living room 72 just with radiant heat in 30+ degree weather. Of course we got the blower running now and it's a toasty 78 :) Can't speak for the other models you mentioned.

I have the Quadrafire 5100 insert that sticks out about 10 inches. I agree that you need the fan. Most days the fan is on low but sometimes I need to turn it up. It helps spread the heat around as well.

jacksnipe said:
Looking at the Country Stoves Canyon C 310 & The Osburn 2400 Inserts that stick out onto the hearth , How is the performace of these units without running the blower. Does the insert top & sides that stick out radiate very much heat into the room that they are installed in. I'm curious if it harmful to run these units in such a manner.

I have a different insert with a blower but I rarely use the blower because I have 2 small fans mounted towards the ceiling (bottom of transom) blowing hot air to the back of the house. It raises the temperature of the bedroom furthest from the stove by 20 degrees with those small fans. If its around 0 then I'll use the blower with the fans. The blower alone makes little to no difference in the temp of the rear of the house.

I also made my own insulated block off plate which helps to keep the heat in the house as well.

Pic of insert showing the first fan's location:
Fan-0103101.jpg

The Country unit is a monster. My first hand use of it was all good. They do give off good heat and you will like the fan as an addition. Be sure to cut lots of wood.

joefrompa said:
Mine sticks out 8" (Lopi Republic 1750). I find almost no radiant heat benefit from it.

I think when it comes to inserts, you should discount any potential for significant radiant heat.

How is it's convective heat without the blower? Some stoves like the PE inserts are designed to still convect for when the power is out. It won't be as good as with a blower, but still puts out meaningful heat. The Regency Hearth Heater is a good stove for power outages also.
http://www.regency-fire.com/Products/Wood/Wood-Inserts/H2100.aspx

BeGreen said:
joefrompa said:

How is it's convective heat without the blower? Some stoves like the PE inserts are designed to still convect for when the power is out. It won't be as good as with a blower, but still puts out meaningful heat. The Regency Hearth Heater is a good stove for power outages also.
http://www.regency-fire.com/Products/Wood/Wood-Inserts/H2100.aspx

I 2nd that! See my previous post. Upgraded from the I1200 which is an insert that sits fully in the fireplace. The H2100 is obviously bigger, but the radiant heat has made a big difference for us!

I have the osburn 2400. It is a beast. Comes with the fan so I don't know why you wouldn't use it. I haven't really used it without the fan much at all. The fan seems to do a good job of getting the heat from around the firebox into the room. It does come out about 8 inches so I'm going to assume if I needed it would do an ok job of heating without the fan. I have a ceiling fan in the room with the stove that does a great job of helping to distribute the heat around the house. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.