Inset surrounds just cosmetic? and a couple other ?s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody1911a1

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2012
Marblehead , Ma
hey folks , getting ready to install my first pellet stove insert .

last weekend i bought/stole a vistaflame vf 100 insert :) and am prepping .

the stove came with a standard cheapo sheet metal surround . any reason i need to use it ? personally i can't see a reason , but thought i'd ask .

next question : how should the T be attatched to the stove outlet ?

i've got this flue kit coming http://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/round-liner-kit.php and a dwyer magnahelic , some ht rtv and some 3m 600f tape .

since i'll need to be able to detatch it to service/repair the stove i was thinking a sheetmetal screw (or 2) and HT tape . remember this is an insert and not accessible w/o disconnecting from the T .

Thanx Woody

I believe the surround is only there to cover the opening left in the fireplace box after you install the stove. I suppose you could replace it with anything that is non-combustible.

Status
Not open for further replies.