Inside of wood stove is black for the first time .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BOBBYMAL

Nov 23, 2017
I have a wood stove with a liner . I decided to save money and clean the liner myself . So I bought the brush and rods to clean the liner and was surprised that it was not very dirty from last year . . Had my first fire last night and noticed there was a lot of smoke .This morning I went to clean out the firebox and the walls are totally black . I do know that the gasket is coming off on the top grid . Could that be my problem ? And if so where can I buy the gaskets .If its not the gasket any help would be deeply appreciated . Thank You .

You can buy gasket rope pretty much anywhere. Lowe's, Amazon, etc. Make sure it is the same diameter as the original (1/4, 3/8, 1/2", etc.) Some folks prefer to get their gaskets from the stove manufacturer, to ensure that it is the same density as the original. . .kinda like buying OEM parts for a car so that you know they meet proper specifications.

I have noticed that on mine on occasion as well. I always attributed it to either wet wood or not hot enough temps before closing the damper down for the night.

You can buy gasket rope pretty much anywhere. Lowe's, Amazon, etc. Make sure it is the same diameter as the original (1/4, 3/8, 1/2", etc.) Some folks prefer to get their gaskets from the stove manufacturer, to ensure that it is the same density as the original. . .kinda like buying OEM parts for a car so that you know they meet proper specifications.

Thank you for your reply . Much Appreciated !